Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking to get an 04 2500HD with the Dmax.

a friend of mine is a mechanic for FDNY and he said that they've been having problems with the dmax engines. he said i should look into the fords because they have less problems.

Is this true?

i really like the 2500HD. but i am new to the whole diesel thing.

is there anything i should know about the diesel engine before i get one?

any info would be great.

thanks

vin

·
Registered
78 Posts
Let me guess, your buddy owns a Ford.

The Dmax is a great engine. The only problems I have heard of is with the fuel injectors getting clogged with dirty fuel. This is easily fixed with an aftermarket filter set-up. I am sure some of the other guys from the board may think of something that I am not but, I know the Dmax is great engine. As a matter of fact, check out the service records on the Dmax and compare them to Ford's new 6.0. I think you will see that the stories of the Dmax having problems is a bunch of bunk. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Camp

thats good to know.

it's very hard to pick a truck out of the big three.

actually my friend doesn't even own a truck.

vin

·
Registered
78 Posts
All of the big three trucks are great trucks. I just know Ford has had some major problems with there new engine and if I remember correctly, they had a recall on a bunch of them for something to do with the engine.

I have 47K miles on my Dmax and couldn't be happier with my truck. The only thing I would change about my truck if I could is a would make it a crew cab dually

I have only had one problem with the truck since new. I had a relay hang up on my intake heater one night and drain my batteries. I can't really fault the Dmax for that, it was an electrical failure of sorts.Edited by: camp

·
Registered
16,610 Posts

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The only thing that has come to surface regarding the Duramax Allison to be troubling is the lack of good fuel filtration .... This could or could not led to early injector failure as with other components of the fuel system ... A few other growing pains early on but have been corrected each additional model year .... The 2004 must be a welled tuned near smooth ownership as it can be ....

Most as myself have put additional filtering on our trucks .... For a couple hundred dollars these lesson this expensive potential problem to rear it's ugly head later on ....

Cheap insurance and peace of mind ....

The Duramax and Allison has proven itself to be a worthy contender since it's release ....

What your hearing is rumors, stick around we'll help you to join the diesel world ...

Mac

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well our whole City doesn't have as many vehicles as FDNY, but we buy Fords through a State wide contract so the purchase of GM vehicles is pretty much out of the question.

That having been said, the new Ford diesels we do have are a pain to deal with and have all been to the local Ford dealership for repairs. As I understand it, the problems seem to have something to do with Ford choosing to create their own ECM modules, programming and wiring harness instead of using Navistar's. I also have several friends with the new Ford diesels who are wondering if their trucks will ever get fixed. Ford has promised a retrofit that is supposed to fix most of the problems, but they seem to be really slow getting those out.

As for our City, including the FD, we're not buying anymore Ford light truck diesels now. I don't know how long that will last, but right now all new light trucks are required to be ordered with gas engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts