Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I bought my truck it came with a 5th wheel hitch, a pullrite superglide 16k. I don't know why a long bed truck has a superglide, but whatever. I haven't had a need for it, but I'm getting a gooseneck car hauler built so I had them put a 5th wheel coupler on it, since I've heard they tow a little better than a gooseneck and I'm already set up for it. I don't know how the superglide works, but will it slide with my trailer? Do I need the special capture plate and if so is there anyway to lock it out so it doesn't move? I don't know exactly what 5th wheel coupler they are going to put on it. The hitch never came with any instructions, so I have no idea whats going on. I've attached some pics. I just don't want to show up to bring the trailer home and have it not attach or mess up my truck/trailer/hitch as I'll be driving cross country early the next day with it loaded up with a 8000lb hummer.

Any tips. What grease should I lube the plate with? Is there a recommended 5th wheel lock, what keeps people from taking the coupler out and stealing the trailer?

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not sure how that hitch slides but in regards to grease, I would buy a Teflon gasket that is designed for a fifth wheel instead of using grease. it will be round and have a hole in the center to put on the king pin of the trailer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
That or similar.
Most RV dealers sell then. Cleaner than grease.
You should be able to get the model numbers off the hitch and look up on the net for some instructions. I have never used an automatic slider and I don't know if you can lock it or not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You will need a capture plate, they make weld on or ones that just bolt on with a few bolts. SuperGlide Quick Connect Capture Plates | PullRite Hitches

https://www.amazon.com/PullRite-3366-SuperGlide-QuickConnect-Capture/dp/B008OAE0T0/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1466476890&sr=8-13&keywords=pullrite+superglide

you could use these with your setup and just let the hitch automatically slide even with the long bed.

I have heard of a metal block that stops the hitch from sliding, with that setup you would not need the capture plate. I looked but could not find a example.

I had a pullrite on my short bed truck and loved it. With a short bed I would not use any other hitch.

Looking at that hitch, just my opinion, that hitch looks well used. I would have just gone with the gooseneck for the trailer and installed a gooseneck for the truck.

You could sell the slider hitch on craigs list.

You could also use this with your pullrite mounting brackets.Traditional Series SuperGlide Gooseneck Plate | PullRite Hitches

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should the slider rails be greased? I emailed superglide and they say 3317 is the universal capture plate part#.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will need a capture plate, they make weld on or ones that just bolt on with a few bolts.
So can I use it without the capture plate, wouldn't it just acts as a regular hitch then? Its my understanding that the capture plate is what makes the slider move, by applying pressure to the top plate instead of just having the king pin move around freely inside the jaws. Obviously I don't need it to slide since its a longbed plus the fact that its a gooseneck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used to use a thin layer of white grease on the rails.

You have to use the capture plate or the hitch would slide back and forth as you accelerate or decelerate.

I have seen where someone made a steel "block" that keeps the hitch from sliding.
I will keep trying to see if I can find the info.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have ordered one of pullrites universal capture plates #3317 and will use that. If all else fails I'll order one of their gooseneck adapters that bolts to my rails.

For anyone else searching later, pullrite makes a 5th wheel coupler with the capture plate built in, its part #4424, but order it way ahead of time, because apparently nobody stocks them anymore and they take 6 weeks to build.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The white plastic disc around the king pin is a nice cleaner solution over the grease on the plate of the 5th wheel. You still need to grease the kingpin and the hitch jaws though. So there is still some goopiness to the trailer and plate even though it is much reduced.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
you definitely need the capture plate ,or the hitch head will twist on the kingpin and then slam fwd and aft with a not so good an outcome. There are a couple threads around where bars have been made to lock the sliding head in place,then you defiantly DON'T want the capture plate because then it will all be one solid piece with no turning ability, and somethings gonna snap when you try to turn. The older superglides, which yours looks like, used a graphite spray lube on the slide rails. The newer ones have teflon like blocks and only require a shot of wd40 or similar on the slide bars. If you use the capture plate like it was designed to, you can't use the teflon ring , it will cause clearance issues engaging the kingpin into the locking mechanism.

·
Registered
313 Posts
DO NOT use the Teflon slider ring! As jettech said, it will cause clearance issues. As the trailer doesn't twist on the hitch plate, it wouldn't help anyways...
There is an adjustment bolt and nut at the cab end of the hitch that must be adjusted to decrease the clunk as you accelerate and decelerate. This is important or the clunking will drive you crazy!

·
Registered
916 Posts
You can purchase ultra thin teflon king pin plates, for low clearance units. I bought mine
from trailersaver hitch company, as there unit can not use the standard teflon disc.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So after picking up my new trailer and explaining the hitch situation to Craig Hull of Hull Trailers, he suggested doing away with the capture plate and just modifying the 5th wheel coupler to basically accomplish the same thing. He had one of his guys weld some bar stock to the bottom of the coupler to act as the "wedge" on the capture plate that actuates the slider. He did an excellent job, and I drove my truck home pulling my new trailer. The next morning I loaded up my Hummer and headed out to Colorado Springs. I didn't make it out of Omaha before I ran into a big problem. Apparently the previous owner of the truck/hitch had welded the sliding function of the SuperGlide solid, basically making it a standard 5th wheel hitch. So the first time I made a tight turn or backed up (don't exactly know which one did it) the coupler and top plate of the hitch bound up, destroying the top plate. I carefully pulled into the truck stop across the street and had to get creative to separate the trailer from truck. I ended up unbolting the top portion of the hitch and jacked the trailer up until it cleared the rest of the hitch. I then had to pound the 5th wheel coupler out of the trailer receiver as the pin had rotated slightly and bent the receiver pin holes enough to make separating the two a pain. In the pounding process, the top plate of the hitch separated from the kingpin.

After wasting about an hour driving to a couple different hitch places that should have had parts or a solution, but didn't, I then figured I'd try one of the bigger camper dealers, thinking maybe they would have something. Luckily they had a PullRite SuperGlide that would bolt up to my existing rails. So $500 later and after getting them to grind down on the coupler a little so it would slide into the receiver easier, I went down to Tractor Supply to buy another 5/8" pin for the coupler as the other one was all bent up. So 4 hours after I was planning on leaving, we finally hit the road. The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful compared to that.

I had talked to PullRite numerous times and even sent them pictures of the hitch in question and they suggested a 3317 capture plate or 4424 5th wheel coupler. I don't know anything about this hitch and no one I talked to did either otherwise I would have noticed that the aforementioned weld wasn't factory. I couldn't find any manuals about the actual hitch online, just instructions for the installation of the plates onto the fame rails. I figured out how this happened because a trucker came up to me and asked me to jump his truck and while his batteries were charging, we talking over my eventful morning. We were both trying to figure out how the slider function works as he had never seen one either and upon closer inspection of the hitch, we determined that it had been welded and couldn't possibly work the way its supposed to.

I guess I'm lucky it happened at slow speeds and while I was still in town. So now I have a higher capacity, lesser used hitch installed in the truck and my old one just needs the top portion to make it a regular non-sliding hitch. I don't think the top plate is fixable, so I may try to source a used part to make it work again vs just selling it for scrap metal. So if anyone has or knows where to get the part I need, let me know. Its just the top portion that bolts on with one big bolt.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I know hindsight is always 100%, But , that should have been pretty obvious when the hitchhead didn't slide by hand without a trailer even attached. Pullrights manuals are on their web site Manuals | PullRite Hitches , And if you got a super glide for $500, even used that's a bargain. The reason there are different capture plates is because there are different kingpin box manufacturers and the need the correct one to fit properly. You're very lucky more damage wasn't done.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
You can purchase ultra thin teflon king pin plates, for low clearance units. I bought mine
from trailersaver hitch company, as there unit can not use the standard teflon disc.

If the superglide is being used as it was designed, there is no need for the Teflon ring. There is no rotation between the kingpin and the hitch plate. The capture plate locks the hitch plate and kingpin box together. The rotation occurs lower on the slide rail assembly.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know hindsight is always 100%, But , that should have been pretty obvious when the hitchhead didn't slide by hand without a trailer even attached. Pullrights manuals are on their web site Manuals | PullRite Hitches , And if you got a super glide for $500, even used that's a bargain. The reason there are different capture plates is because there are different kingpin box manufacturers and the need the correct one to fit properly. You're very lucky more damage wasn't done.
This was my first experience with a 5th wheel, so I didn't know what was supposed to move either on a regular 5th wheel or a PullRite SuperGlide. I didn't know how much pressure the hitch needed to swivel and move. I couldn't find any information about the actual hitch, just the installation instructions as far as bolting on the frame plates and such. Looking back, yes I should have looked closer at the hitch and realized that it been modified, but like I said, I have know idea how they work.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hate to hear of your troubles. My Pullright has been in my truck for just over 10 yrs, been out I think twice. Great hitches for 5ver. I use Bull Shot on the sliders occasionally, or white lithium. My plate has never had a drop of grease on it. The post regarding adjusting the stop on the front was right on. Just a thought, with the mods to your capture plate, you are limited if needing to pull the trailer with another truck (in case of a roadside break down) to a truck with a slider. You might consider getting the removable capture plates and grinding the welded steel off of your kingpin. Mine clamps on with 4 bolts that are just loosened, not removed, to take off the capture plate. OTOH, you do have an excuse to not loan out the trailer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts