Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to get new tires.. i have weld 16x8's 4 5/8" BS. have trxus MT's 285x75x16, but they wore out way to fast.. thinking of all terrains this time.. have heard good things about pro-comp all terrains.. had bfg all terrains years ago and they worked great.. had BFG mud-terrains on my last truck and they wouldn't balance for beans.. anyone running any end of the year time promos?

4wheel parts is doing free freight. they are also offering 75$ gift cert on BFG's... i do run in mud so they can't be to wimpy.. plus they need to look good tooo

Nick

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had BFG's(A/T) on my gas 2500. I got 285's for $149 a piece. I liked them a lot.. Tracked straight, weren't noisey, but they did get clogged in mud . I tried to buy another set for my D/A, but the guy I dealt with last time was off, and the joker I ended up with, tried to screw me. I ended up with Big O XT's I paid $159/piece for 'em. They're noisier, don't track well under braking, but they handle mud a lot better. They're a more aggressive tread design than the BFG A/T.

Anyway, the best solution I've found is to go to tirerack.com. They generally sell tires at or near cost. You can either have 'em shipped to you, or have your local guy try to match their price. America's tire used to match prices no problem

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
DO NOT GET Firestone Steeltechs!!!!

I know you are not looking at them, but anyone else who is considering them they suck!

They have great tread wear but that is it. They are worthless with any kind of moisture on the road. Just look at the pic I posted under the "I discovered the perfect pickup" thread. It just started raining and my wife lost the back end going down a hill and around a curve. Then over a 60' embankment.

Stay away from Steeltechs!Edited by: NoWake200

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on my truck. Awesome tire. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ive got almost 20K on my BFG A/T's. They are only 265-75-16. But at 20,000 miles, I was getting ready to replace my Steeltechs. I think these got another 20K left. And thats with some towing, and a boat load of abuse.

ProComps, or BFG's again in my opinion, Or if you want something super agressive Goodyear MTR's. Theyre AWSOME

Bill

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Good question but, what do you plan to do with your truck? Will it be a "heavy hauler" or just normal 1/2 ton stuff? My winter tires are Wild Country mud tires(Mud Hogs) and they do very very well in the mud, water, ballance and ride. However, the tires are very loud and only have a weight rating of 2600lbs even though they are "D" rated tires. On the other side my summer tires, Nitto Terra Grapplers, do very well in "every" catorgory. The Nitto's are quiet, E-rated 10 ply, ballance with minimal weight, have great sidewalls, wear like Iron whne loaded, have excelent wet traction, do well in the mud, have great "off-raod" traction, handle like hot slicks, stop on a dime, are difficult to spin and have a tread wear of 500.

My buddy has 285 REVO's and they are very nice tires. The REVO would be the "middle" tire. Revo's are D rated for 3200+ lbs. The REVO seems to ride and handle well but I don't know how well they do off-road.

My .02 worth........ I pick the Nitto's. I think they are made by Yokohamma (sp)

Burner---------->

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been happy with Cooper Discoverers on my tow rig. Quiet on the road, good wear characteristics, and decent on dirt roads. My rock crawler on the other hand runs on 37" Baja Claws.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Basically, up here where we have 9 months of winter and 3 months of cool weather, I am interested in something for over the road that can handle some moisture, both the liquid and the white kind. Nokian tires are legendary up here in the snow belt for their winter performance.

I was planning on replacing the Flintstones, when they wear out, with Revos. However, Nokian now has a multi-purpose tire that may out-Revo the Revo.

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=36

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Something black and round .... Once you go full "Extreme'd program" you wont be able to keep the hides from roasting anyway ....

Mac

·
Registered
211 Posts
I aggree with Burner,

The Nittos or the Revos, the Nitto being the more aggressive of the two.

BTW Burner, The Nittos are built by Toyo. I confirmed it with Nitto before I bought my Revos. I decided on the Revos because I didn't need anything more aggressive. I'm still thinking about changing to 18's with Nittos

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have had every BFG and Big-o tire out there, been really happy with them, but I love my Nitto Terra Grapplers!!! They are plenty agressive and yet still very smooth and plenty quiet on the high way! Not to mention many compliments!

Mike

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sport King A/T 285/75-16 $93 per tire. Get at any BFG dealer. I get 55-60K from every set....except this set......damn Quad 135.....

·
Registered
612 Posts
guess my truck lucked up and came with an exceptional set of tires ... have 52,000+ miles on the original Goodyears ... keep them aired to the door settings and use a 7 tire rotation every 5,000 miles ... look as if they can easily go another 20,000 .... when the time comes, plan to replace them with the exact same tire

Jim

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had 265 load range E Bstone Revos installed 30 minutes after I left the dealer and could not be happier. I tow a 12,000 lb trailer and they ride great and are very quiet. They have an adequate amount of grip in the mud for me.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Not sure how much mud running you do. If it's just now n then take a look at the Goodyear AT/S. I run them all year up here in Alaska on my Suburban and the wife's 4-Runner. My set has close to 60k miles and look like they'll go to 100K. 95% of that has been highway miles with some towing as well. As soon as the tires on my 2500 wear out I'll be putting the AT/S on it also.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
My 265/75R16 LD.E Bstone Revos are doing great. They are an excellent multipurpose tire. The only draw backs are they gather and throw small rocks, probally more that any other tire I have seen. I also did't realize they were made in Japan untill they were already on my truck. What the heck, apparently my stock shocks, rear spring insulators and intermidate steering shaft were made there as well.;)Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
958 Posts
NoWake200, do you mean the Steeltex A/T's? I'm running them on my cargo van, I've put 25k on them already and they're holding up great, been driving on compact snow, ice, slush, lots of rain, and once in a while a short patch of dry pavement
I've found them to be quite good tires on the highway so far. Were yours the same as mine (the stock A/T's that come on our 2500HD's) and if so, how worn were they?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts