Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my local stereo shop replace my Bose system for a set of MB Quart components front and rear , 2 JL Audio W6 subs powered by a 500-1 and 450-4 amp with the stock head unit.

My delema is that my highs and mid basses are not as loud as the stock speakers when turned up.The guy at the shop said that my stock head unit isn't putting out a strong enough signal to the amps and that i need to upgrade with an after market head unit with higher voltage out put.

Is this the case are was the equipment installed improperly?

·
Registered
27 Posts
adjust the gains on your amp sounds like he is just trying to sell you a new head unit

·
Bac To The Future
23,008 Posts
What adapter did they run off the stock head unit to adapt the RCA's for the inputs on the amps?

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
If you are going that far I would change to stock head unit as well.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
What adapter did they run off the stock head unit to adapt the RCA's for the inputs on the amps?

hmmm me suspects he used LOC's off the headunit outputs, which is the wrong thing to do. The outputs from the head unit are LOW level, not speaker level, so if you use an LOC, it will sound bad. Use a PAC AOEM-GM24 adapter and it will sound "just as good" as an aftermarket head unit.

--Ben

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Just as good? You really thing so?

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Bose systems in the truck are also heavily 'equalized' as far as freq spectum output is concerned. New Deck Time.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Bose systems in the truck are also heavily 'equalized' as far as freq spectum output is concerned. New Deck Time.
The head unit's outputs are not "Bose equalized" as far as I know. They are linear and flat from 20hz to 20khz. The "Bose junk and screwing around with" happends in the amp with both luxury and non-Luxury systems...the Lux amp's DSP is much more sophisticated tho. The non-lux amp is junk.

If you grab the outputs from the head unit witha PAC AOEM-GM24, you will get straight flat line level audio.

If you are putting in a system that costs thousands and thousands of dollars, you'll probably notice a little difference with the stock head unit. BUT... when you take away the Bose junk pemium amp and just hook the line outputs to a GOOD aftermarket amp and speakers, you'd be surprised how good it sounds. As far as the Bose non-lux system sounding like garbage, its all the amp's fault. The head unit is pretty darn good....

--Ben

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
new deck will give you more options and it will sound and look better than the stock unit look at the pioneer decks they are great and sound even better i have used different pioneer decks in all of my trucks i have had

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Head unit is fine. If you subs arent loud...you need a line driver to boost the pre amp output.

·
Bac To The Future
23,008 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the stock Delco (Delphi) head units. As Ben said, the Bose equalization is in the amplifiers themselves, and are "woke up" so to speak, with the programming put into the BCM.

Adding an aftermarket amp and speakers to a stock deck will make a very good sounding system. You just have to match the components correctly (just like you do for any system) and have the correct adapters on the radio outputs.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I don't like the way mine sounds either, subs are not loud, speakers seem too loud...Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I'm not quite sure, but if I remember correctly, the installer told me he had to bypass the stock bose amp to make it work--does this sound correct??

Also, I know that my tweeters in the door pillars aren't wired in because they don't work either!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I'm speaking from experience... I used a Soundgate Line Output Converter and tapped my Bose sub speaker (after amp) wires for driving my amp and twin 10" subs. Sounds great, glad I didn't waste the $100.+ on the PAC adapter.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I don't know much about this audio stuff, anyone else have any suggestion on a fix?

Sorry to hijack!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
well i just finshed my lux nav upgrade today and i am very happy with it.
it sounds great it surprized me how much the tiny sub picked up now just from the upgrade. big thanks to diesel day dreaming for letting me bend his ear during the install cheers diesel thanks again
rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure how they wired it but the subs seem to be fine but i have less high's and mid bass from the components than i did stock.I also haven't checked the gain on the amp for the highs.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Why not a wire tap after the bose amp? At that point the voltage varies greater than it does pre factory amp.
This does not work well with the premium (non-lux) systems because on non-lux systems, the sub gets hardly any action...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts