Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed a brand new 28mt starter and started the van at least 10 or so times over the course of a week; then there was one time i stopped the van for a short period of time then went to start and it just made a single click sound when i turned the key, tried several times, then 15 minutes later it started.
then this morning it did the same thing, very cold last night but block heater on, just click and nothing else. Four hours later i came back, it was warmer now, block heater still on, then it started right up like normal and i did this several times, no problems.
The place i got the starter from said they would send a new one but i am trying to figure out what else it could be. Anyone else have this problem?
thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
loose connection on the starter solenoid....purple wire I believe...

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
If it clicks, it won't be the purple wire, but rather the battery positive to the starter is loose at the battery or the starter, the large stud on the starter with the wire going into the starter is loose, the brushes are sticking due a manufacturing defect, or the solenoid itself on the starter is defective or binding at the throwout fork.

The only other thing is if you have two positive cables on the battery positive post, perhaps the battery bolt is loose or there is corrosion between the two cables. I've seen quite a few towed due to the bolt loose at the double cable or corrosion at the double cable from a defective battery leaking acid at the side post.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I got a bad starter like that one time.

You don't have to wait, just keep trying to start it and it will start.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
heymccall;1595578; said:
If it clicks, it won't be the purple wire, but rather the battery positive to the starter is loose at the battery or the starter, the large stud on the starter with the wire going into the starter is loose, the brushes are sticking due a manufacturing defect, or the solenoid itself on the starter is defective or binding at the throwout fork.

The only other thing is if you have two positive cables on the battery positive post, perhaps the battery bolt is loose or there is corrosion between the two cables. I've seen quite a few towed due to the bolt loose at the double cable or corrosion at the double cable from a defective battery leaking acid at the side post.

Hmm...I have had bad connections on the purple wire cause clicking before in my truck.....posted about it around a year or so ago....

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
chrisk1500;1595603; said:
Hmm...I have had bad connections on the purple wire cause clicking before in my truck.....posted about it around a year or so ago....
Not saying it can't happen but I have seen it if your talking about the trigger wire.

Now that I think about, there a fusible links between the solenoid and the rest of the harness on the 12v big red wire. Look 4 or so inches up the red wire that head to the harness. You will see a white plastic barrel there molded over the cable, concealing a crimp on connector. That's where my '82 6.2 failed but IIRC, it was a dead truck even with a new battery. Maybe the purple wire has one of these? After ball it's been 10 years since I sold that one (280k miles and never had the heads off - 2 inj pumps,a timing chain for peace of mind, 3 transmissions, and 8 glow plugs.)

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Check battery cable connection at the double positive.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Bad solenoid?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Neutral safety switch - clutch saftety switch - ign switch - battery power and ground connections - bad starter

·
Registered
276 Posts
kennedy;1596102; said:
check battery cable connection at the double positive.
x2

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same problem last year or the year before. Put a new starter in onky to have the same problem. Took it out, had it bech tested and it was fine. Put it back and the same trouble. Turns out it was corrosion. Replance the cables and it works fine. Check those cables it is the cheapest fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had a similar problem with my 1995 6.5TD...replaced all battery cables, positive and negative...as well as the glow plug relay....and added engine-frame ground as well as a cab-frame ground.

One, if not all of these fixes seem to have helped as I have been 2 weeks free of problems (knock on wood).....

Check for a lose connection on your glow plug relay shorting out the system some how....mine was loose and has been arcing!

Steve

·
Registered
620 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts