Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided today I am getting new Tires. Thinking about the Revos. I need a tire that is good in snow and ice. Which way should I go?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Haven't ran mine in snow and ice yet, but they are the best performing truck tire I have ran yet. I have about 10K miles on them right now. Over the years I have ran Goodyear Wrangler HT, AT, MT GSA, Goodrich AT, Michelin LTX M/S , A/T. The Revo is my favorite. 2<SUP>nd</SUP> place is the Michelin A/T but it is not made in a 285/75. The M/S is made in a 285 but I wanted something a bit more aggressive.

The Revos are quieter than any other A/T I have ran. Only the Michelin M/S and Goodyear GSA were quieter. The BFG and Wrangler AT get downright noisy after a few thousand miles. They are great in deep water and have a surprisingly good dry cornering adhesion. I feel it is the stair stepped cuts in tread that make the tread more stable (less tread flex). I think this feature may help on glaze ice as well.

The other tire I seriously considered was the Nitto Terra Grappler. Toyo is the OEM of the tire and very respected in the heavy tire field. My main concern was noise due to the more aggressive tread design. I am still seriously considering buying a set of Weld Evo 18x8.5 Wheels and Nitto 325/60 18 tires. At least they’ll still fit the DMax in my future.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Pro-Comp All Terrains.

I have had Yokahama, BF Goodrich AT's, Wranglers, Kelly's, Laredo's and none compare to the Pro Comp's.

Plus they are severe weather rated.

T
NY

·
Registered
958 Posts
Big O X/T is my favorite.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BFG what? All terains? I really don't care for the looks of the all terains and don't want the mud terains.

I can't get the Revos unless I wait untill January

I'm kinda limited to BFG, Michelin, Firestone, Bridgestone or Good Year. My dealer only sells those and he is willing to give me waaay too much money for my firestones on it. I won't get this good of deal anywhere else.

I also want a Load Range E..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Max,

What size are you looking for? The 245 and 265 e's are in stock @ tirerack.com. I think the 285 only comes in a D. If I remember correctly, my 285s are rated around 3300lbs each

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just re-read your message. I see you are working a deal with your dealer. Check out a set of Michelin LTX M/S.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
265's but I am in Canada and to me it looks like they are not in stock. I don't think I can get the Michelins in a high enough load range.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Max,

Michelin Makes the LTX M/S in a 265/75 -16 with a E rating 3415 lbs
They also make it in a C but the E is out there. Fairly common to see them installed on S/D Fords.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I know you said load range E ... aside from the load range my vote, in order would be:
<UL>
<LI>Pro Comp AT's</LI>
<LI>Bridgestone Revo's</LI>[/list]

I've never run either and only running the BF AT KO's now because i got a good deal on them and they have a 315-70R17 tire. The Pro Comps are suppose to be unmatched in severe weather conditions. Pro Comp has also had several buy 3 get 1 free deals over the last few months.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just got Revos last week. At first, the firestone dealer said they looked to be on backorder nationwide. Next day, I called back and talked to somebody else, they said no problem getting what I wanted, either 245 or 265 load range E.

I stuck with 245s. So far, I am most impressed. Way better than what the truck came with. Really quiet. Traction in wet very good. Can't wait to see what they do in snow.

Also, Firestone had just gotten a new Hunter alignment machine. Guy doing the alignment spent more than 1.5 hours aligning the truck. At one time he had to call tech support. It may have taken a long time, but this has to be the best alignment I've ever gotten. Truck goes straight!

Much better than this:

http://home.pacbell.net/josuee/vid/hicktruck.wmvEdited by: Barnhart_Ram

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice tire, but a little to aggresive for me. Not only that but my dealer can't get them.

tophog, I accidently deleted my post so yours looks out of place now
Thanks for the help.

Still completely undecided.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thinking about the LTX M/S. Anyone have any personal experience with these. The more I think about it the more I want the revos but I don't want to wait!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I don't like the look of BFG AT's either but like tophog I got a great deal on H2's and 315's. We've had a little snow down here and they are great on snow and ice. I really like the 3 ply side walls. They ride great empty and I don't worry about airing them up to tow my 5K sled trailer.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anyone have any experience with the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R? Again a bit to aggressive but I would like the extra traction in snow. Too many choices

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Max Power said:
Thinking about the LTX M/S. Anyone have any personal experience with these. The more I think about it the more I want the revos but I don't want to wait!

Had a set of these on a 2000 Tundra Limited 4x4 Ext Cab. Only ran them for about 20K before I sold the truck but REALLY liked the tires. They are very quiet, excellent traction in snow and wore excemptionally well. At the time they were the number 1 tire on Tirerack.com and still believe they are in the top 5. With 20K miles they nearly looked new. I know a lot of people get very good mileage out of Michelins ... they cost a little more then your average tire however IMO that are worth it.

On edit, I think the Michelin LTX's are as close as your going to get to Revo's if you didn't want to wait for Revos.

Pict of Michelin 265's on my old "wanna be Chevy" Tundra. Hey, it wasn't a diesel but a very nice truck. Can't knock a Toyota for quality/durability ...and no injector problems. :)

Edited by: tophog

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have had Michelins and liked them. Just put a set on the wife's suburban. I have to agree that they are very quiet and have good traction.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Max

I ran the LTX MS on my suburban in a 265/75 but it was a load range C. I currently have them on my 82 C10 (31 10.50 I think). I had a set of Wrangler MTs for about 1000 miles on my Suburban. There was a brand new set a Wrangler 305/70 on my 99 GMC when I made the deal on it. The previous owner had just pulled off the 305/70 Wrangler AT. The old ones were put back on with the deal. If noise is a concern forget the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Wrangle</st1:placeName> <st1:place w:st="on">MT.</st1:place></st1:place> They are really bad the last 1/2 of the tread. My brother has ran at least 3 sets on his 93 Z-71 (was the OEM tire). His most previous last set was LTX M/S and he was impressed with mine enough REVOS went on his last Month. He was very satisfied with the Michelins, but the French connection came into play. He decided on the Revos after riding in mine. After talking to him on Thanksgiving, he now feels the Revos are better. His opinion may be swayed by back-to-back comparison of a well worn LTX M/S to a new Revo.
Yes, the Wrangler MTs are more aggressive if that is what you are wanting. Traction seems to be better in loose or lightly packed snow. But it seems to be worse on heavy packed or ice. I have also had problems keeping Goodyears balanced over the years.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts