Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put on new rotors and studs on the front. I just received these today...
PowerSlot.jpg

they are obviously different from the ones that are on there. OEM_rotor.jpg

Does anyone know if they are the right rotors for the front? They are supposed to be for the JD7 brake setup. Comments

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
take another look at the center cut out on your new rotors. notice anything?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't know if they are right or not... they don't look right, but maybe they are a universal type :confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine has the JD7 brakes and the rotors have that same four point cut out pattern in the middle. I just went out into the garage and looked at my old ones.

What might be confusing you is that the ring of metal that the studs are on is NOT part of the rotor. The rotor is mounted to the back of that ring. The studs go throught the back of the rotor and then press into the back of that ring. The rotor does NOT pull off over the studs.

You better do a search on hear about changing this type of rotor. I think you are in for a lot bigger job than you realize. I know, I did mine myself.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
take another look at the center cut out on your new rotors. notice anything?
I never have had the rotors off so I wasn't quite sure how the hub was attached/fit in the rotor. I figured they were probably the right ones I just didn't want to start this project without knowing for sure.

·
Registered
215 Posts
they look right to me, i jsut put on new raybesto's on my gmc, the job aint as bad as all people say, if you got front ABS you need a lil allen key to remove it from the hub, and a decent breaker bar for the back 4 bolts, when i redid my brakes i used blue locktite on the 4 hub studs. make sure to get all your torque numbers before re asembly

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they look right to me, i jsut put on new raybesto's on my gmc, the job aint as bad as all people say, if you got front ABS you need a lil allen key to remove it from the hub, and a decent breaker bar for the back 4 bolts, when i redid my brakes i used blue locktite on the 4 hub studs. make sure to get all your torque numbers before re asembly
I do have front ABS...I was hoping to get some info about what to check regarding that sensor while doing this job. My ABS light is on.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If the ABS light is on than a code will be set. It most likely is one of the sensors. When going back together try to get the mating surface for these sensors nice and clean. I would take a look at the circuit for these sensors where it crosses over the frame for chaffing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I did mine I unknowingly damaged one of the ABS sensors. I had the ABS light on when I got every thing back together. I had to take it to the dealer to have the computer scanned to determine which sensor was bad (left or right) Since I was running out of time before vacation I had them go ahead and replace the sensor while they had it. In doing this I lost some of the saving in doing the brake job myself in the first place. Live and learn.

No, it's not that bad of a job to pull the rotors if you've done it once already or have folks like us to offer tips on the critical points. What most people have trouble with is 1) getting the bolts out of the back of the hub...Use a six point impact socket and a long cheater bar, not a twelve point socket, you'll round off the bolt heads. 2)Getting the rotor and hub assemblies separated. I used the BFH method on the edges of the rotors knowing I wasn't reusing them. I have heard of some that back out the bolts about a quarter turn and then use a drift pin in an impact driver on the bolt heads to drive the rotors off. I'm told this will mushroom the bolt heads and you'll have to replace them afterwards. Make sure you use a little antiseize where the hub and rotor assembly go together to make it easier to get apart next time.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts