Diesel Place banner

New or ReMan, what has tour experience been?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the scene, Your good ol Cheby needs a Master Cylinder, Advance Auto has a ReMan from Mexico for $18, AutoZone has a brand new for $30, Made in China.
15-20 years ago, when Chinese were tending their crops, all was made in Canada or USA. ReMans were junk, aftermarket shocks would last a year, made in Brazil, Chile, whatever...
Now China is experiencing what North America did 150 years ago.
My question, or poll is:

1. What's you experience with Cheapie hard partz? Starter, hydraulics, switches, etc...

2. ReMan's? They all have "lifetime" warranty. But I've seen plenty of $50 starters last less than a year.

3. ReMan engines and transmissions. Rumor has it they (AutoZone, Advance) use good used partz from the tear downs. How many miles have yours gone, before it goes?

·
Registered
318 Posts
The only thing I buy from autozone or pep boys is fluids and maybe windsheild wipers... their autoparts are complete crap.

I've put 3 leaky waterpumps on the same vehicle before getting a 'good one' (that lasted a year) from autozone. My ol 82 truck goes through a autozone rebuilt alt every year like clockwork.

Guaranteed for life doesnt mean much to me when I have to waste hours of MY labor swapping the parts over and over. Brand new AC Delco all the way :thumb:

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
get the good stuff at NAPA

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Good stuff from NAPA??? Not their reman starters and alts, I work at a napa autocare center, more often than not we had to try 2-3 of their reman starters till we found a good one. The reman water pumps are good, window motors... well....
Since our local jobber put new starters and alts in stock we've pretty much gone exclusively with them.
Our customers are mostly retired and they don't mind paying to get something done, as long as it works right, they don't like excuses, if it doesn't work it's our fault not the parts(least in their eyes). Reckon if our base was less well off we'd sell more reman
BTW... the new stuff at NAPA isn't much more $$ than the reman junk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah I think he meant new stuff from Napa... remanufactured stuff is crap no matter where you buy it these days.

Theres a local shop here in town that rebuilds starters and alternators... you'll get as many miles out of his rebuilds as you would from a brand new AC Delco. Shame you cant find that quality at a parts store anymore.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
The only thing I buy from autozone or pep boys is fluids and maybe windsheild wipers... their autoparts are complete crap.

Guaranteed for life doesnt mean much to me when I have to waste hours of MY labor swapping the parts over and over. Brand new AC Delco all the way :thumb:
Same here fluids ,cleaners , odd ball stuff, no parts, :p:

·
Registered
222 Posts
OEM or new from NAPA for me. Never have good luck with reman stuff.:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well , I just returned the crap reman starter for the '92 4.3. The drive (bendix) went. So Advance gave a full refund, inc core, and we went with a NAPA reman. Same price. NOW I read this!
I've been rebuilding my own GM starters and alts for years, and I NEVER have a problem. I just sift through my stash of cores, and voila. :ro) I guess you could call it my own backyard blueprinting job. I just am very fussy.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Napa and Lee buy many of their parts from the OEM's that make the parts for Delco. I always ask for the brand of the part b4 I buy...

It is getting more difficult as many of the parts on our vehicles come from Mexico and China (yes even your new 2500 Chevy).:rant:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My '84 Delta 88 has a factory warning chime made in Korea. It always starts small... :exactly:

·
Registered
141 Posts
most remans are junk,I bought a reman starter for my 6.2 years ago at Auto Zone cuz it was all I could afford & I thought it was a good deal with a lifetime. Well it's not! I've changed it so much that they lost track and I ended with a spare. So now I have a new reman (junk)starter in the back for when I need it. I do have to admit I'd rather just change it once & have it last.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Censored Yup, I know it's hard to pass up a "bargain". I have been assembling starters for my variety of Chevs over the last 20 years. A drive from here, new bushings, piece together a GM solenoid, some TLC, and they always last the life of the vehicle. Usually 50k, 3-4 years. And then I install a $50 reman on a rush job, and good for a year. Shiny but junk.
I bought a brand new unit from AZ for my wifes 3.3 Olds last year ($90) as it was late at night and I couldn't concentrate to re-build one. So I opened the brand new one, and one brush was ****ed in the holder/guide. I used it for a couple months, and then found a similar unit at the scrapyard. Spent an hour removing it, and returned the almost new unit. I'm BAD! But the slightly used "new" unit still works great, but only 6-8k/year. They look good, but cheap sweat shop labor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts