Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Looks like my radiator is leaking. Anything I need to know before buying a new one?
Looks like it is going to be a $400 item at my local NAPA. OUCH!
I see where Spaldings Auto Wrecking in Spokane has new ones for $230. Anything to look be on the lookout for?
Any recommendations?
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Chinese radiators...

I bought the cheaper one. I got home and found that it was made in China. -:t I also found damage from when it was on the boat. Four of the front tubes had been crushed and a sizable portion of the fins had been bent. :mad: I took it back and had it pressure tested and straightened out (at no cost, of course). :exactly:

In my opinion, the cheap one is not a very good quality radiator. It is functioning well in my truck, but I was not overly satisfied with it when I installed it. If I could do it again and had $400 for a better one I would get the better one. :rant:

·
Registered
141 Posts
find your local Keystone automotive crash parts store, yes the rad will cost about 350-400 but it has a life time warrty ( PN# RAD850). Yes I work there and just put one in my 84 & will be getting another for my 85. It is an upgraded factory type replacement. Alum. with plastic tanks I was worried about that but my truck has NEVER run cooler, even at 70 with the snow plow on.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Hey guys,
Looks like my radiator is leaking. Anything I need to know before buying a new one?
Looks like it is going to be a $400 item at my local NAPA. OUCH!
I see where Spaldings Auto Wrecking in Spokane has new ones for $230. Anything to look be on the lookout for?
Any recommendations?
Thanks.

400 clams?!? :eek:
What year and model is your truck, I'll look it up tomorrow...I'll see if I can give you a "leverage price" :D

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Wow..master installer price on that unit is 405...

The only good thing I can say about that is that it isn't a cheap-o chinese radiator....

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've heard it's best to separate the radiator from the oil cooler and the tranny cooler. BS?

·
Registered
35 Posts
try this on for luck

I had same problem. when I found my truck, the block was slushy water and the radiator had the drivers side tank pressed off nearly all the way with an ice block. I got lucky in two ways.

One way was that I took it down the street to a radiator shop. this guy was pretty darn cool. I took the thing in and asked them what a radiator like this gets. he looked at alot of books and then told me that his cheepest option was to solder my tank ends onto another core. after tax I had $267 into it. put it in and it worked great. really great because my 2 wheel half ton silverado came with a 3 core. the core that he put on is a 4 core and it never gets hot. it gets where it needs to be and stays there.

the other way I was was lucky is that the block didn't freeze. didn't even freeze out the frost plugs.

there are downsides to this whole story, which I won't go into.

but, to put it mildly, I didn't think I was going to get a good running pickup. I figured the thing would blow up or something shortly after I started abusing it. thing seems to run better now after the fleet supply implement enamel paint job is complete.

buy the one with the warrantee... this guy may have found me a deal because I work for a company that buys his scrap and gives him alot of business. others may not have that luxury, so find one with a deal and make sure you keep that receipt. even if you move. got a guy at work now that has "lifetime warruntee" on an alternator. he doesn't have the receipt from when he bought this other one in alabama...and, they are telling him to go pound sand.

dirty as far as I'm concerned.

good luck.

·
Registered
571 Posts
400.00?? Yikes. Maybe I was just lucky for a change. I found a beauty at a junkyard for 75.00. A radiator shop checked it out for nada, and with some advice I changed it out.

I'd make a few more phone calls.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
he looked at alot of books and then told me that his cheepest option was to solder my tank ends onto another core. after tax I had $267 into it. put it in and it worked great. really great because my 2 wheel half ton silverado came with a 3 core. the core that he put on is a 4 core and it never gets hot. it gets where it needs to be and stays there.
Here's the deal. :deal: I bought a 4-core as well. Mine was $260 for the whole new radiator. The guy at the radiator shop said it would be cheaper than a recore. It was, by $7.00. If you get the same deal, take the recore. The cheap chinese radiator I got had rather poor quality tanks.

I found a beauty at a junkyard for 75.00.
Only in Florida. For the rest of us who live in climates where ice exists in places other than the supermarket freezer, you won't find a good one in a junkyard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts