122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sorry guys, I can not get the file to reload

SteveEdited by: fishdmax

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This link opened when I posted it. Yes this is the GM approved kit. Any suggestions on how I can post it so you can read it would be helpful. It came to me as an attachment in Adobe

Steve

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Do you have a cost?

I got it to open earlier and printed it out at that time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MSRP is $410, some distributors discount off that. I just ordered one and the distributor is putting in a 2 micron filter in place of the 10 micron.

Steve

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
fishdmax said:
This link opened when I posted it. Yes this is the GM approved kit. Any suggestions on how I can post it so you can read it would be helpful. It came to me as an attachment in Adobe

Steve

Sometimes you have to post a link to a page that has the .pdf on it in order to gain permission to download. The link goes to a dieselplace upload page with the .pdf indentified, but I still can't get to it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
$410 TOO MUCHI had a quote for $165 with the 2 micron and heated bowl. Although I wiuld have to find the connectors but for $245 will pay for several hours of my installation time and the time to find the needed parts.

Patrick

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I just finished talking with my GM service manager, and he has no problem with me having any fuel filtering system installed. Hearing this I received a quote for $155 for the kit and $205 for a heated kit. I know that $410 is a bunch of money, but I believe the GM kit has the heat and the WIF sensor that ties into the DIC to warn you of water in fuel. Still not sure that is worth an extra 200 bucks. I'm probably going to go with the a different kit by Racor.

JP

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is this the long awaited GM approved fuel filter kit??

Where do I order from??

Thanks,

twebb

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well I got the .pdf file, thanks dmax lover.

Called Racor.

She said the kit number is good, but not available. $410.00 suggested retail. Gave me a number for a distributor in the Salt Lake City area, they're out of business.

She also said the filter guard, I'm one of those four wheeling types who's trucks get off the road, does not show up on her computer.

This is not good for a company like Parker Hannifin who makes quite a bit of aircraft stuff that works pretty well, to be handling Racor like they really don't care about what's going on. Maybe that explains the delays in this kit coming out, or more specifically the whole inadequate filtration of the factory system.....

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I asked this question in another thread." We all agree there is water in diesel fuel,then why do we never find water in our filters when we change them?" I always drain my filter first. There should be water in the bottom if the separator is working. Maybe there is just no water in our fuel. I DON'T LIKE CONTRADICTIONS.
We need a grrreeeaaat fuel filtering system and we need it quick.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Bronco said:
I asked this question in another thread." We all agree there is water in diesel fuel,then why do we never find water in our filters when we change them?" I always drain my filter first. There should be water in the bottom if the separator is working. Maybe there is just no water in our fuel. I DON'T LIKE CONTRADICTIONS.
We need a grrreeeaaat fuel filtering system and we need it quick.
If you took a sample of fuel and had it analyzed, the results would show dissolved water present. This water does not come out with water seperators nor do we worry much about it. It's free water that creates the real problems. Most of that gets handled by the seperator. When using a second filter you have two seperators.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Okay boys, here's the dope straight from Mike at Racor engineering....

The kit was developed in conjunction with GM. It plugs into the existing wire harness, comes with all the fittings, hoses, etc.

It's also a 10 micron pre-filter. Racor says the OEM filter is a 2 micron........

Now based on what I've read here, I'd gotten the impression that the engine mounted OEM filter wasn't that tight, but this guy was a straight forward type who knew all about this thing and I gotta believe he knows what he's talking about.

So yeah, it's spendy, but it's got to be the most funcional setup with the ability to work with existing wiring and the DIC, WIF, heater and site bowl. The 10 micron pre-filter followed by a 2 micron final filter is exactly what's needed.

I'm sure this will start some conversations about the veracity of Racor's claim, I'd be interested in hearing them, but I'm really skeptical now.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Well, it comes back down to if you can get the big rocks out first, the stock filter will perform better. Progressive filtration, plain and simple. If the finer filter isn't plugged up with big pieces, isn't that more area to filter the fuel, thereby increasing its efficiency?

On the other hand, put a more efficient filter with larger capacity first, and you can achieve the same thing. Oh wait - that's been done...

Seems to me Racor is making good sense here. I've seen and worked on several different types of fuel filtration systems on boats, trucks, and cars, all diesel, NONE of which had a fine filter first in line. Always a larger (10-15 mic) primary, followed by a (>= 5 mic) secondary.

Bear in mind that I currently am running ONLY the stock filter, with plans to install the MEGA pre-oem, once time permits. Practice what I preach? Not always. Just my .02 that Racor is perhaps on the right track, and either method works...

Ty

·
Registered
693 Posts
dmax lover said:
twebb said:
Is this the long awaited GM approved fuel filter kit??

Where do I order from?

I have one on order from oregon fuel injection - they contacted racor right after the first of the year (at my request) and have several on order for their stock. First one in goes on their own duramax, second one goes on my truck; third one...??

www.oregonfuelinjection.com

I forget the exact price - a shade over $300 I think...

They have been very responsive, ordered some stanadyne additive from them and it was on my doorstep the next day... (it's only 100 miles from my home).

jeff

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well Racor has the exact kit that I sell but only they have added the WIF. They have the same bracket design, location everything. I am now in the process of putting together the very same thing and I can tell you it will be a lot less than $410. The heated kit I have know is half that. I will be posting picture of the kit in the next day or two. As far as using a 10 instead of a 2 I will be using a 2 micron. They OEM is such a peice of crap that i want the best filteration possible before the OEM. I know this goes againt all logic but sometimes things need to be done that way.

Greg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Greg,

Can you get us the wiring harness connections, harness, etc. As my kit is now on the way from you, what do I need to add. Install instructions for those of us not the sharpest mechanical tool in the shed would help also.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Greg...I was just thinking about your kit on the way home from work today. The Racor looks to be the same as yours, with the addition of WIF and heat mated to a GM approved harness. As asked above, can you provide the Racor wiring harness that connects to our trucks?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts