Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my PMD with flight systems PMD and Leroy's relocation kit and I'm still getting code 35 and 36? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just replaced my PMD with flight systems PMD and Leroy's relocation kit and I'm still getting code 35 and 36? Any suggestions?
dude check out my thread, 96 centurion diesel, its right under yours.....im having the same problem right now.......looking like a fuel pump for me...

Reactions: jrsavoie

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
If not already doing so ,try adding some lubrication to the fuel,eg 2 stroke oil .Lots of posts re quantities etc

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If not already doing so ,try adding some lubrication to the fuel,eg 2 stroke oil .Lots of posts re quantities etc
Yea I've always added 2 stroke oil plus I use 15% bio

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dude check out my thread, 96 centurion diesel, its right under yours.....im having the same problem right now.......looking like a fuel pump for me...
which one the lift pump or injection pump?

·
Registered
190 Posts
which one the lift pump or injection pump?
injection......those two codes are from the fuel solenoid in the fuel pump that can not be replaced without changing pump. there is a list of other stuff to check before condemning the pump, i have done almost all of the checks and still getting code.....

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Did your last pmd(s) also give the same code? Any symptoms now or before?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did your last pmd(s) also give the same code? Any symptoms now or before?
yea last pmd had same codes but truck wouldn't run. it would start and die like someone just turned off the key.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Checking the circuit wiring that will cause a DTC 35 and or DTC 36.
Unplug the PMD conn. and the 32 pin pink PCM conn.
Check for continuity between -
"C2" on the 32 pin pink PCM conn. (RED WIRE ) It will be on the second hole in from the end
and the only solid red wire on the connector.
And "E" on the PMD conn. (RED WIRE) the one between the pink and black wires,
the letters A thru F are on the connector in case you have all same color wires.
You should have continuity, if not there is the problem.
Have a helper wiggle the harness under the intake and at the back of the engine near the fuel filter while checking to reveal any intermittent shorts or bad connections.
Also check that circuit for continuity to ground (a short to ground), should be none.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checking the circuit wiring that will cause a DTC 35 and or DTC 36.
Unplug the PMD conn. and the 32 pin pink PCM conn.
Check for continuity between -
"C2" on the 32 pin pink PCM conn. (RED WIRE ) It will be on the second hole in from the end
and the only solid red wire on the connector.
And "E" on the PMD conn. (RED WIRE) the one between the pink and black wires,
the letters A thru F are on the connector in case you have all same color wires.
You should have continuity, if not there is the problem.
Have a helper wiggle the harness under the intake and at the back of the engine near the fuel filter while checking to reveal any intermittent shorts or bad connections.
Also check that circuit for continuity to ground (a short to ground), should be none.
ok ill try all that tomorrow and ill let you know

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i've already pulled the fuel filter and checked the filter and there is no signs of water or bacteria. i've noticed today that going about 50mph and white smoke just pouring out the exhaust pipe but nothing until you get up to that point. seems low power and check engine light comes on. the PO changed the lift pump right before i bought it and he has rigged up a switch to power the lift pump so i don't have the ops/lift pump issues. seems to all be using the correct wiring and what not. frustrating.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
See "Fuel Supply System Checks."

Start at the source, the fuel tank, and work forward, repair or replace anything that might raise some doubt..... particularly you need to check for a partially restricted strainer or incorrect (gasoline) sock.

While R&Ring faulty lift pump, supposed to do a voltage check to ensure sufficient voltage is reaching the lift pump. Also supposed to drop and clean the tank while inspecting the sender and replacing the strainer and OPS. Most folks skip all that and just treat the obvious without giving little thought as to any of the possible causes that may have contributed to its failure prematurely..

Change Lift pumps and FFM filters all day wont fix a restricted fuel supply due to a clogged fuel strainer.

Alot of folks replace the sender, unaware that 99.9% of them come pre-assembled with the wrong (gas) sock. IF you do NOT purchase Acdelco TS 1012 fuel strainer and properly install it yourself leaves a BIG DOUBT.
Making assumptions has cost hundreds of thousands of misdiagnosed IPs...
Dont be that guy..

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See "Fuel Supply System Checks."

Start at the source, the fuel tank, and work forward, repair or replace anything that might raise some doubt..... particularly you need to check for a partially restricted strainer or incorrect (gasoline) sock.

While R&Ring faulty lift pump, supposed to do a voltage check to ensure sufficient voltage is reaching the lift pump. Also supposed to drop and clean the tank while inspecting the sender and replacing the strainer and OPS. Most folks skip all that and just treat the obvious without giving little thought as to any of the possible causes that may have contributed to its failure prematurely..

Change Lift pumps and FFM filters all day wont fix a restricted fuel supply due to a clogged fuel strainer.

Alot of folks replace the sender, unaware that 99.9% of them come pre-assembled with the wrong (gas) sock. IF you do NOT purchase Acdelco TS 1012 fuel strainer and properly install it yourself leaves a BIG DOUBT.
Making assumptions has cost hundreds of thousands of misdiagnosed IPs...
Dont be that guy..
Well I bought the truck running good and I've never dropped the tank so unless it replaced itself I don't the sock is the wrong one but contamination might be an issue for sure. Right now I'm trying to rule out electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
For the last time.. Fuel Supply deficiencies typically spawn intermmittent electrical gremlins.
Surely your familiar with the PCM ghost, often misidentified as just another passing PMD goblin.... If not, you will be..

wHeres your PMD.. <sarcasm

Some recent discussion(s) 'bout the Fuel Pickup and Sending Unit and the importance of being thorough, never assume its good, even if its new.
Loud knocking noise

Good Luck

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the last time.. Fuel Supply deficiencies typically spawn intermmittent electrical gremlins.
Surely your familiar with the PCM ghost, often misidentified as just another passing PMD goblin.... If not, you will be..
My PMD is behind my bumper now

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found your problem. :eek:

IP armature is sticking. IP is bad if you can't clean it out, codes really don't hurt anything if it runs OK.
so you're suggesting using 15% bio is not good plus using 2 stroke oil? so how do i clean this ip armature? and it doesn't run ok. it blows out white smoke and going down the highway at 60+ it's like it is cutting out jerking back and forth.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update - I installed a clear tube from the IP to the return line and and no bubbles. Only thing is how much pressure is supposed to come out of that IP fitting cause its like kinda drizzles out not much pressure.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Agreed, avoid waffle house blends. Another reason to ensure there isnt a gas sock choking the life out the IP which is 100% controlled by the PCM..

TSB: Suction / Vacuum Side Diesel Fuel Filters
What is a strainer if not a pre-filter..

Seriously.. Based on everything your telling us, it certainly sounds like fuel starvation, often associated with snotty sock syndrome... A simple cold (minor infection) can quickly escalate into an Injection Pump life threatening s'ituation if proper procedures are skipped or assumed good.

My PMD is behind my bumper now
Ahhh, the ever popular "Scared Straight Program." Strap that lil Censored to the bumper.. Hows that workin' out for ya.
I jest.

Update - I installed a clear tube from the IP to the return line and and no bubbles. Only thing is how much pressure is supposed to come out of that IP fitting cause its like kinda drizzles out not much pressure.
:banghead: See step 1, do it... HOPEFULLY youll have a different result, considering the costlier alternatives..

Fuel System Air Leak Test
1. Install a transparent hose between the fuel manager/filter outlet and injection pump fuel inlet.
2. Start and idle the engine, observing the fuel for air bubbles.
-- If air bubbles are not present, stop the engine and go to step 6.
-- If air bubbles are present, stop the engine and go to step 3.
3. Check the lift pump suction line for air leakage:
-- Disconnect fuel pipe from the fuel sender and plug it.
-- Disconnect the fuel pipe from the lift pump, and install a hand held vacuum pump with gauge.
-- Apply vacuum to the fuel pipe and observe the gauge reading:
--- If vacuum does not drop, connect fuel pipe and go to step 4.
--- If vacuum drops, repair the air leak in the suction line and install the suction line pipe and hose.
4. Check the fuel sender for air leakage:
-- Remove the fuel tank.
Remove the fuel sender from the fuel tank, remove strainer and plug the bottom of the pickup tube.
-- Apply a vacuum to the upper end of the pickup tube, and observe the gauge reading.
--- If vacuum does not drop, install the fuel sender and fuel tank.
--- If vacuum drops, replace the fuel sender, install the fuel tank, connect the fuel pipe and go to step 5.
5. Start and run the engine, observing the fuel for air bubbles:
-- If air bubbles are present, stop engine and recheck steps 3 and 4.
-- If air bubbles are not present, stop the engine and go to step 6.
6. Remove the transparent hose and connect the hose of the fuel manager/filter outlet to the injection pump inlet fitting.
7. Disconnect the return hose from the injection pump.
8. Install a transparent hose between the injection pump and the hose of the return line.
9. Start and run the engine, observing the fuel for air bubbles:
NOTICE: It is OK to see a small stream of air bubbles on snap acceleration
-- If air bubbles are not present, go to step 10.
-- If air bubbles are present, replace the injection pump.
10. Stop the engine.
11. Remove the transparent hose and attach the fuel return hose at the injection pump.
12. Clean any fuel spillage.
13. Run engine and check for fuel leaks.

FINAL STEP- CLEAR DTCs

Now take note of #1 FUEL SYSTEM CHECK:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts