Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to this site, so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I bought a used Silverado Crew Cab 2500HD turbo diesel about a year ago...it has about 40k on it now.

My primary goal is to improve mileage, although improved horsepower is always a plus (I already call it a 7200 sports car, I'd love a little more juice). I'm not a big vehicle improvement kind of character; don't do the work, although I'd consider it if some of the imporvements are bolt on/ bolt off kind things (I've got handy skills, just haven't worked on vehicles since the 80's (when I was seven...)

So, I've asked a lot of people, including the guys at auto parts stores. Oddly enough, it didn't clear anything up.

I did talk to a couple fo guys who both have Ford's and drive them 60k per year. They seemed very credible. They both chipped the motors and did something to the exhaust. One of them claims 22 on the highway 18 the rest of the time. Their biggest concern was tires; both of the concur Michelene's run for 125k or more...

I've also read a few advertisements for chips and the claims they make. For a guy who hasn't any basis for a decision, it's hard to get started.

First tier question: what about chips, which ones, how to decide which to buy?
Second tier ?: exhaust and intake; I think I know that the volume in has to match the volume out or there's no point...is this a DIY operation if you don't spend your weekends under the hood.

Last tier; whats' all this I hear about modifying injectors (didn't know it had them)...apparently there is some wizard mechanic here in Portland, OR who works for dealers who can work wonders...

I'm notinterested in spending big bucks...I am in to operational efficiency and of I could spend a little and get to the 17-22 mpg the FOrd guys told me about, it would be great...it runs around 12 mpg, drops to 11 over 2k rpm..no loads...
I know that's a lot of stuff, but maybe someone (s) has the time to answer...thanks! Pictures to follow...

·
Registered
725 Posts
What year and engine is in your truck? Superchips flashpaq programmer gets my vote for being user friendly and ease of tunability. It has 3 different download programs, tow, tow/performance, and performance. In additon to the different programs the programmer itself is updated through your home pc as many times as it needs be. Superchips will post updates every now an then and you just simply download the update as needed. As for exhaust MBRP for me, a good cat-back will do wonders for performance and mileage. Lastly on my list of the "easy 3" mods would be an intake. AIRAID gets my vote on this one, they make good power, mileage, there filters filtrate lower than most others and they offer a lifetime no hassle warranty....

Just my .02 cents on this one, Im sure you will get plenty of answers....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts