Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I became a first-time diesel owner. My wife decided she wanted to upgrade from a TT to a fifth wheel. That meant the Excursion had to go and we would need to find a used one ton. After a couple of frustrating weeks of finding limited availability, we came across a 2013 Chevrolet 3500 with 53,000 miles on it that had just been traded in earlier in the day. The previous owner was meticulous. In looking at the service records, he never went over 3,200 miles without changing the oil and often changed it between 1,500 and 2,000 miles.

In looking over some of the threads on this site, I am seeing some issues with the CP4. Would that be considered the injector pump? And if it is, and it fails, what other issues will I have to deal with?

The truck came with a lifetime power-train warranty and the injector pump is covered by that warranty.

Are there any other issues I should be aware of with this motor?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Administrator
16,742 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
The LML Duramax is equipped with a CP4 Injection type pump.
The CP4 is known to have a fuel flow issue that mimics cavitation in the pump. When the pump flow is interrupted the CP4 will grenade sending metal shards all throughout your fuel supply system.
The cost for shop repairs will run upwards of approx.12k to fix. (Complete fuel system teardown and replacement)

You can help prevent any fuel system failures by doing the following:
Install a lift pump like a Kennedy single lift pump. The Duramax does not come with a fuel pump from the factory
Add an aftermarket fuel filtration kit like the Kennedy Mega filter kit. This will help filter out any impurities within the fuel going to the CP4.
Purchase your fuels only from well-used stations like truck stops ( T/A, Pilot, Flying J, etc). This eliminates the possibility of getting contaminated fuels.
Add a fuel additive that includes Lubricity with each tank of fuel you purchase. Lubricity helps the fuel system

Those items can greatly reduce your chances of having a CP4 failure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My concern is that any modifications may void my powertrain warranty. I guess I will have to contact the company and find out what they say.

·
Administrator
16,742 Posts
My concern is that any modifications may void my powertrain warranty. I guess I will have to contact the company and find out what they say.
If it is an aftermarket warranty policy you need to check the fine print regarding coverage for the CP4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts