Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Atlanta and back, 600+ miles in my new truck yesterday. Today I see oil under the right front of truck on the driveway. Its dripping off the underside near the lower radiator hose.

I made an appointment at the local dealership here in GA, I bought it in FLA.

I guess I get to see what kind of dealership I drive by every day...

Are they going to try to charge me to fix a new truck that is still under warranty?

I am not too comfortable with anyone other than me working on my vehicles, much less pay for it!

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
this is going to be the PCV thing... oil in the intercooler boot.. I had it and so have tons others. See the post a little ways down about this same thing.

I found a spot on my driveway a while back and looked.. here is what I found.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/garage.php?do=big&p=4669

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picked my truck up from the dealership. Service manager said the mech didnt find my oil leak. He gave me some dye to put in the oil. They updated PCM for the surge problem I noted.

Whats so hard about finding the source of oil dripping from underside of truck?

My guess is they tightened something, and hope the leak doesnt come back.

How serious is this PVC issue?

Why would a new truck suck oil from crankcase into the intercooler?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Picked my truck up from the dealership. Service manager said the mech didnt find my oil leak. He gave me some dye to put in the oil. They updated PCM for the surge problem I noted.

Whats so hard about finding the source of oil dripping from underside of truck?

My guess is they tightened something, and hope the leak doesnt come back.

How serious is this PVC issue?

Why would a new truck suck oil from crankcase into the intercooler?
find another dealer!!! Good dealers know this problem and the TSB. The lower intercooler hose is loose, and the PCV valve vents into the intake. Small amounts of oil accumulate at the bottom of the intercooler and come out through the loose fitting. Check the lower intercooler hose (it should be a big blue hose) it probably has oil dripping from it. The cure is to have the fix done per the TSB which includes a new sealant, a new clamp and IIRC an new lower intercooler hose. My dealer knew what the problem was from my phone call setting up the appointment. Fixed it at 4K miles, no problems now at 27K miles.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure I understand why the oil is getting into the intercooler, I guess I will keep rereading the the "oil in intercooler post" until I understand it.

The good news is the PCM update makes the engine a little smoother with earlier shift points, hoping it should improve fuel milage.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
The PCV removes pressure from the crankcase and vents it back into the air intake.

With this pressure it pulls a little oil with it and with any fluid it will find the easiest path and the first hole it can find. The oil leaks at the weakest point which so far is that lower intercooler hose on the passenger side.

The fix for this is to route that PCV away from the intake air to some place else.

Although the dealer has a TSB for this the only thing they do is remove the intercooler boot, clean it, put some silicone or something, new clamp and send you on your way.

this typically isn't a big problem, but over time oil may just sit at that spot and eventually make it's way out just like mine did in the picture I posted.

this is a very broad and short description, but it should answer your question.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Braino, Being new to diesels, I am learning a lot as I go.

Your discription is what I needed, now I know its not a big issue. So far it has not leaked any more, I am guessing they tightened the intercooler hose is why.

Thanks...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts