Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad i found this site and it sure looks to be a great place for information and help.I just bought a 2004 Chevy 2500 HD with D/A and it is my first diesel for personal use.I have driven big rigs for 31 years and although i am familiar with diesels in the class 8 category this is a new ballgame to me.I have been a little worried about the injector problems i have been reading about and i am a little unclear as to when i should do the first maintenance or PM on the truck.I thank you all in advance for your help.

D.J.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Truckerman,

Welcome aboard. You are gona love it.

I would do an oil change between 500 and 1000 miles. These engines seem to come with a lot of silicon in them from the factory. Change the diff. lube between 500 and 1000 miles after your first tow but not later than 5000 miles (many have a mileage opinion on this one, that's mine). I got LOTS of metal out of my diff. on the first change. Be prepared to spend some bucks as the gear oil is pricey. Be sure to lube the chassis as soon as you can. They come light on that from the factory.

There are lots of things to consider for your truck. If you want to try to positively impact the injector issue I believe the best way to do so it install a second fuel filter. Nick is offering a special this month on his. Do a search read up on what many have said and done.

Good luck and enjoy,

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob for the reply.I am going to try to do all that is nessecarry to keep this truck.I traded in my 2003 Chevy CC 1 ton dually with the vortec 6000 to get the D/A combo and i am sure i made the right decision.The 6.0 was killing me on the fuel mileage alone.

D.J.

·
Registered
958 Posts
FWIW, I waited until 10k miles/250 hours for my first oil change (and fuel filter).. The oil still looked almost as clean as when it was new.

My last truck was a 6.0L too, I don't miss it one bit!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Truckerman I too have just purchased a 2004 d/a 2500 hd and so far after only a few weeks i know I have made the right decision.I am a class 8 diesel mechanic by trade with extensive knowledge of the detroit series 60 but this engine is also a brand new game to me.I understand pm maintenance is a must.I have read all the forum's and opinions of some very fine knowledgeable folks and by calling my local dealer have come to some conclusions for my d/a rig.My gm dealer sells standyne (i think thats correct spelling)fuel additive over the counter so I called a place in virginia and ordered a case direct which was cheaper.I figured if gm sells it it must be approved.Its alcohol free.I've read where different peeps recommend it.That should put more plus's on my side towards this injector issue.Good fuel =less problems all the way around.

Second:fuel filter some peeps recommend secondary filtering but for my location salem oregon winter's are fairly mild compared to the rest of the country.Haven't seen 20 degrees since I moved from Indiana so I am going with regular fuel filter changes as prescribed by manual and this forum and my own knowledge of how important that fuel filter is.

Third:Truck set me back enough so I am starting the oil off with synthetic rotella 5w40.I believe in rotella and have seen living proof of series 60 engines that use it.My choice and opinion only...I will be using baldwin filters both oil and fuel.My company runs them in 15,000 trucks so they must not be that bad of filter.No filter is any good if you don't change it at correct interval's.(but you already know that)

We run synthetic oil in the diff's on our big rigs and thats the only way to go.As stated by other peeps in the forum.Yes its pricey but advantage's far outweigh the disadvantage's

Fourth:no brainer and you know it keep the rig greased and it will last forever.This is a awesome rig and like you I want to start it off with every chance to age gracefully as I can.I don't want to induce problems.The reason I bought this unit is because opinion's of peeps that have owned the d/a for over a year with no problems what-so-ever,but they also do the maintenance as prescribed.Enjoy your rig as will I.Rides better than my 99 grand prix gt that I traded and faster too...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Tomslick24....

Congratulations on purchasing your new truck
... hope it gives you may years of reliable/enjoyable service.

Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Tom i know what you mean.I am a big fan of the DDE 60 series and rotella.I got over a million miles out of my last DDE 60 with no problems.I also will go with the what i have read here so far and keep up on the PM big time.I want to thank all these folks for some great insight and tips.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Truckerman,

Welcome, as I have also recently been welcomed here.

There are a Great bunch of guys throwing information around & I really soak it up..
Thanks also, for your input, as I just picked up my Duramax CC, today! & I'm in need of Knowledge...Well, I'm in for the ride & hope you enjoy it too!

P.S. I've got a Texican, Bull Ridin, Nephew down there in Whitesboro....say hi for me.

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts