Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cab:1997 K1500 Ext. Chassis: 1996 K2500 6.5 Turbo diesel,auto, 8 lug axles w/10.5 in Eaton lkr
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there fellow oil burners. I’m new, kind of. From the coastal town in Central New Jersey (one of the last counties that still love freedom).
Dabbled in postings and a little involved 17 years ago on this site, but under a different email and for the life of me I don’t remember it or passwords. Sorry getting old.
Had several of the 6.5 diesel trucks and my first was one I bought new in 1998. Loved it but had to sell when kids came around and a truck was less practical than a minivan, then a suburban. At least the suburban can be diesel. So went there and got a 99 2500 Burb for my business. It was 10 years only at the time and still had the special warranty on the injection pump. Since then lots of life changes and moves but found a diamond in the rough with a plow that needed a trans. The owner practically gave it to me if I bought the plow. I was back in the 6.5 world!!
So this is the latest project. A 1997 K1500 emerald green extended cab with a short box, rusted everywhere and the frame Swiss cheese. The engine great, and the plow worked. Needed a 4L80e rebuild and tires were all mismatched. I was in love. Dirty as can be but I didn’t care. Reminded me of that first new truck I bought in 98. Towed it home and went to work. Put a 2002 rebuilt trans in it because after tearing it down and inspecting, needed about 500 bucks worth of hard parts and a rebuild kit. Found one on Craig’s for about that and went for it. Sourced a high stall. Converter and relocated the PMD. Did some other cleanups and got it road worthy. Has been a great little work truck and plow money maker for 3 years, then the frame was really bad and mending with welded plates really wasn’t helping-you see, you need something more than rust to weld to.

Found a similar style and color K2500 diesel long bed a few hours from me that was a perfect donor for a reframe. Picked it up-with the 97 and towed it back. That was fun because our towing hitch nearly fell off from the thin rusted metal. We actually had to chain the receiver to the tailgate and use the bed to hold it up, but we made it.
Fast forward to the end, we (my 18 year old and me) now are now enjoying the fruits of our labor with the 8600GVW K2500 6.5 Turbo diesel with a shift kitted 2002 4L80e , 10.5 inch Eaton locker rear, 3.73 final gear with 2005 16 inch 1ton 8lug factory allows
, 305/70-16 tired, 2 inch body lift by Performace , 3 inch suspension lift with u-bolt and blocks in back and 2 in front with torsion key mods. The engine is the piece-de-resistance with fully sandblasted, and painted Detroit diesel green,replaced exhaust manifolds and Eastwood ceramic coated with new factory bolts, engine fully resealed and regasketed, new water pump, valve covers, oil pan, block heater and intake sourced from an F code engine with no EGR. (PCM programmed to a vin with 3500HD auto, highest boost and fuel delivery as possible for factory flash, new injection lines and returns, new 40+ marine injectors and an SS diesel high volume lift pump, wicked turbo wheel for GM8 turbo, 4 inch diamond eye straight exhaust WITH powered cutout they run though factory muffler and back through exhaust plumbing to go back out tailpipe. (Nice for highway when you get the drone). To watch all that new good stuff, the gauge trio on the A-pillar hosing 3 pods. Boost gauge, EGT and Trans temp. The boost gauge was hard to find since I wanted one that only went to 20psi not 30. And I don’t want to see vac on the gauge. Diesels don’t have vacuum. I found a sweet one in Australia but the led lights don’t quite match the Auto Meter softness of the other two pods. And finally, all new hoses, belts, fuel, brake, power steering and trans cooler lines replaced so she is really just about a new truck.
I will post pictures if allowed. Happy to answer any question. I do have some needs and will be asking for advice on some things.

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,037 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

Be sure to fill out your signature with vehicle info ( Year, Make Model ) and list all mods.
When completed, this info will appear with each post you create and will assist the other members when giving you diagnostic or mechanical advice
(y)

·
Registered
Cab:1997 K1500 Ext. Chassis: 1996 K2500 6.5 Turbo diesel,auto, 8 lug axles w/10.5 in Eaton lkr
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I searched around to add that tag, and I guess I didn’t look hard enough. Will look again.

·
Administrator
22,037 Posts
Thanks. I searched around to add that tag, and I guess I didn’t look hard enough. Will look again.
Click the three dots located on the upper right-hand side of your screen. Then click on FAQ.
Tutorial info can be found there (y)
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let’s see if it shows. It might be long.
Thanks.

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 5 of 5 Posts