Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just registered on this terrific site after checking out a few threads.

I have a 99 Suburban 1500 4x4 6.5L td, 155k miles. It's doing the usual (so i find out) intermittent stalling. For the record, one time my engine just shut down while I was doing 75 mph/120 kph on a freeway. Quite disconcerting. Since then, it stalls occasionally and sometimes it takes a few minutes to start up again, cold or hot, but it always starts. Will be changing PMD as soon as I get it.

Which brings me to the "remote locating" topic. I have read many threads that talk about getting the FSD cooling/dissipating kits and harness extensions. I have read others that just suggest relocating the PMD without a cooler/dissipator. Anyone have opinions on just splicing and extending the existing wiring and remotely locating the PMD to a cool spot?

I will also be converting to WVO. Read many threads on that, and it seems pretty straight forward these days. I will be installing a kit from PlantDrive/Neoteric in BC Canada and Berkeley California. The kit includes in-tank heater, lift pump, in-line heater, 6 port valve, filter & water separator. I'm adding 2 WVO tanks, one under the truck, and one in the back to feed into the underneath tank. Will post on the progress.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
First off welcome to the site, take a moment and update your sig as per the welcome sticky so we all know what you've got.

I personally run the SSdiesel setup. But if I had it to do over again I would go with the heath kit with a KENNEDY extension harness. Mounting the PMD back on the pump would be futile if your considering running WVO, and the PMD mounted on the pump is a poor location to begin with. The PMD needs to be in a cool place MOUNTED on a cooler, if you justr hang it out there it will have no way of dissipating heat and would self destruct rather quickly.

·
Registered
308 Posts
check lift pump operation.

Regardless whether it is/is not a PMD fail.

You will need a spare on a remote ( sooner or latter ),,,
Not wasted money..

·
Registered
659 Posts
I had a 94 K5 with a 6.5 and it did the same thing. It usually stalled when I was turning a corner and then I would lose power steering and brakes. Several times I came very close to hitting another car. Fortunatley, it always started right back up. I took it to several dealers over a period of 6 months and no one had a clue. I was ready to torch it. I called a truck stop in Virginia and asked them if they knew of a mechanic that would have a clue and they told me to call Antrim Diesel in Greencastle, PA. The mechanic that worked on it knew all about the 6.5 cutting off and he said the computer brain for the injector pump would shut down sometimes, not always, when it got hot. He installed the latest upgraded version it never shut off after that. He said something about it being the 4th generation control module. I sold it about a year later and it never missed a lick after the upgrade. If I remember correctly, it was about $275 USD to fix it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments.

thefermanator, I updated my sig, as you suggested. Thanks.

qwestqaz, not being all that savvy, what procedure do you recommend for checking lift pump?

pmikey, thanks. I’m hoping I will get the same results.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I suggest you read all the FAQ"S, you will need that info

Can be checked with a gage . or , with engine running
open water bleed ( 'T valve in front of engine )
If fuel comes out, LP ok.
If engine quits, lift pump not working ( air sucked into
Inj Pump ) This procedure can be a pain though, as engine may be hard to restart,make sure you are in a place where
the truck is easily worked on.
Also:
You can also crawl under truck , left side fram rail and
listen/feel the pump working. ( this does not insure normal
pressure though)

You did not say if truck quits under load or when releasing
throttle,
Under load , usually lift pump

When releasing thottle, more lickly PMD. ( IP )

Suggest you do LOTS of reading old posts...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
qwestqaz, I have tried the faq, and all I get is a search field, which produces no results no matter what I enter. ???

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Go to FAQ sticky at top of the 6.5 forum or in my signature link

1 - 8 of 8 Posts