Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I have seen the postings of the 06 LLY and LBZ. MPG is a large complaint. I have just purchased a LLY 06 GMC HD 2500 LB 2WD w/locking RWD. I also have the 6 spd manual w/od. I basically wanted an 'over the road' truck. 4WD is for 'off the road' operation or snow plow. I had a '83 6.2l GMC 3-speed with OD. I think that if you want a truck to haul trailers etc. or just long distance driving 4WD is not the way to go. I never regretted not having 4WD given the type of driving that I have done. Being that I will not take delivery of the truck until 4/1/06 as it waits for me in NH and I am in FL, I stand corrected in my thinking. I expect to get 20+ mpg w/no trailer at 65-70 mph. As I am sticking my neck out, I would welcome the thoughts of others who think I am wrong in my thinking.

Additionally, when I bought my '83 I put a Dahl fuel filter in as the primary. There are two element selections: 1 micron (nominal) filter for normal conditions and a 10 micron filter for winter conditions. The water removal is said to be 100%. This caused an increase in the time that it was necessary to change the final (o.e.)filter which required a lot of effort to change. I plan to incorporate the same filter in the new truck. Are there any comments by any out there who might think I am doing the wrong thing?

·
Registered
133 Posts
dsail, welcome to DP. I think your MPH empty expectations should be met. I think they are reasonable based on my experience with my previous and current D-max. You just have to give her time to break in to get it.

Also, seems you know exactly what you want for your driving needs. As for me, I would not go with a 2WD based on the driving I do. Most of my mileage is over the road, but the 1-2% of the time I am on dirt, mud, sand, snow, either on my farm property or someplace similar with my horse trailer, I need the 4WD. I also hunt and often need it for some places I go. You know better than I what your needs are, but I see no reason in your post for changing anything. (Other than I love my Allison tranny, but some folks prefer the handshakers.)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I get 19-20 mpg on the highway empty and 14-15 in the city. Also this is a 4x4. It costs about 3 grand more than a 2 wheel drive but it holds its value better at trade. This mpg is computed by the DIC. The truck has 265-75-16 tires on it so i am actually getting better mpg than that.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Me too

I expect to get 20+ mpg w/no trailer at 65-70 mph. As I am sticking my neck out, I would welcome the thoughts of others who think I am wrong in my thinking.
I have the LBZ with the Allison 6-Speed (Auto)... I get 15+ around town and 20+ on the freeway (at 70 MPH)... At 75 I got 18.6, at 65 I got 21.4... If you drive "Conservative" the MPG is there... :exactly:

BUT... when "Testing the Power"... my MPG goes down a bit...:muahaha:

Have fun (when you get it) and :welcome: to the forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My DIC is showing about 12.5-15.5 Mostly HWY driving......I have about 5,000 on it and I have the 285's on my truck.....how far off do you think all the info in the DIC is? I was wondering if my fuel gauge is right w/ the bigger tires also.... I havent run it down enough lately and done the math at fuel ups.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
My DIC is showing about 12.5-15.5 Mostly HWY driving......I have about 5,000 on it and I have the 285's on my truck.....how far off do you think all the info in the DIC is? I was wondering if my fuel gauge is right w/ the bigger tires also.... I havent run it down enough lately and done the math at fuel ups.
How fast do you drive on the highway? How long has it been since you reset the DIC computer?

The DIC gives you an average MPG since the last time it was reset to Zero. If you have not reset it in a long time, all your WOT runs, city driving, street-light racing, etc. area being averaged in. If you reset it, you can get a better idea of how it is doing right now.

If your OEM tires were LT245/75R-16, going to LT285/75R-16 will cause both your speedometer and odometer to read approx. 7 % too low. So for whatever speed it shows, you need to add 7%. Same thing for the odometer. (These are theoretical numbers - You will have to measure it with a stop watch to determine the actual error.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts