Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a new Duramax CC SB 4x4 on 11-25-03, called dealer today they gave me a vin number and it has an engine code of 2 lly. The truck was built yesterday 1-14-04. How long will it take to get from Pontiac to Chicago, truck not due until 2-13-04.dealer could not say.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Laser,

Get a hold of Dr. Howard....he has a little Magic he can do!!!
Congrat's & Good Luck!!!!! Two Dogs

·
Registered
125 Posts
Look up Howard m18,

Look under 2500 Trucks etc. Two Dogs

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Well at least you're closer to Flint than I am. I had to wait almost the whole month of March While my truck rode the train from Flint to Alaska to Framingham, MA Then it was loaded onto a big rig and brought down, it felt like a year. I'd figure one a week tops to the windy city. Enjoy it when it comes...

Ox

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don't bet on a week. I live in the Lansing, MI area, 60 miles southwest of Flint and my CC took 3 weeks to get to the dealer, with a build date of Feb 14, 2003. They had mine and a 1500HD CC that they waited and waited and waited for. Finally after the General Manager made some phone calls, they supposedly "red flagged them for immediate delivery" on a Friday afternoon. They were there before noon on Monday and both of us took delivery that Monday night. The dealer had closed the deal for us as soon as the invoice came through so we could get the maximum rebates, and then we waited. The Sales Manager said the invoice and build dates are very close and vehicles generally arrive within a week of the invoice. Not this time. That was OK because it gave me the extra time I needed to sell my 2001 1500 extended cab without trading it in.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
lasergrave said:
Ordered a new Duramax CC SB 4x4 on 11-25-03, called dealer today they gave me a vin number and it has an engine code of 2 lly. The truck was built yesterday 1-14-04. How long will it take to get from Pontiac to Chicago, truck not due until 2-13-04.dealer could not say.

That's a tuffy.....

It depends on how long it's in the factory lot before a railcar full of trucks is ready for your area. Then transport to Chicago, and it will sit in the railhead yard there until there is a transport full of vehicles to be delivered to the local dealers, usually the same manufacturer since we can't mix "oval's" and GM's, in your area.

For what it's worth, my truck was built 01-15-04, on a railcar and shipped this AM 01-16-04, and GM says 5 to 7 days from Pontiac to the railhead closest to me, Salt Lake City. My dealer is going to pickup my truck from the local railhead about 35 miles away, rather than wait for the local transport.

Some dealers will do this for you if the railhead is close because the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) has not been done, but you have to ask NICELY.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Trucks built in Flint/Pontiac and shipped to Chicago will not go out on the rail. They will be transported by truck from the factory to the dealer. The rail is used primarily to move trucks west of the Mississippi River. Also rail will be used from Michigan to move vehicle south. From the rail yards they are then moved by truck to the local dealers.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Okay, I was just going by what Howard told me. He said my truck would go to Chicago via rail, then be transferred to UP (Union Pacific Railroad) and we could track the railcar it was on.

His should save some time if it doesn't have to go on a train. A month to deliver seems a bit much to me, but that's not based on any facts to the contrary.Edited by: Zeeb

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Wow, three weeks to get one in the same state? I'm thinking they don't leave the factory right away. Mine was built on 03-03-03 and it was delivered 03-25-03.

If you figure it took them to the 6th to complete it, that's still 19 days. It's under 750 miles from Flint to here. If the average speed was 10mph, that's 75hrs or just over three days. Plus stops for a total of five days waiting for various things, transfers inspections and whatnot. It's a two hour drive from Framingham to here.

Let's say the train only runs 8hr days, 8.375 days, round up to 9 days plus 5 for stopped time and one day on the truck for a total of 15 days. I way overestimated the time of travel and still came up with four extra days. I think the most time it would take to get a truck anywhere in the country would be around a week. They're sitting around somewhere...

Ox

·
Registered
909 Posts
Zeeb said:
My dealer is going to pickup my truck from the local railhead about 35 miles away, rather than wait for the local transport.

I would hope "pickup" means they trailer it in, as I wouldn't want just anyone driving my fresh and unbroken-in rig. My truck had about 5 or 7 miles on it when I took ownership.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
To get to Western Washington, it took 10 days from production to dealer. I don't know but suspect it was shipped by rail to Washington. Mine had 4 miles on it, and 0.7 hours runtime.

DennisEdited by: baimpala

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Ray403Dmax said:
Zeeb said:
My dealer is going to pickup my truck from the local railhead about 35 miles away, rather than wait for the local transport.

I would hope "pickup" means they trailer it in, as I wouldn't want just anyone driving my fresh and unbroken-in rig. My truck had about 5 or 7 miles on it when I took ownership.

No, they drive them. We used to do that occasionally when I was selling. You just need to not push them because they're new and the PDI has not been done.

When they do a PDI, the techs are supposed to drive them around checking for any driveability problems, so If you got a vehicle with one or two miles on it, I'd be suspicious that the PDI was not very thorough. Unfortunatly, that happens too often. Read about some of the other posts regarding the rear ends being low on lube.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It pays to be a friend of Howard I guess, cause my truck had a TPW of 2-11-02 and it shipped from Flint on 2-12-02. I took delivery 2-21-02 but the dealer had it on 2-19.

Apparently Howard can make some magic happen.

He still hasn't collected on the Steak dinner I promised him either. I may just ahve to pack the steaks and the grill up and take them to him, if he won't come out here. Problem is he's retired and I'm not!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
BlueOx03 said:
Wow, three weeks to get one in the same state? I'm thinking they don't leave the factory right away. Mine was built on 03-03-03 and it was delivered 03-25-03.

If you figure it took them to the 6th to complete it, that's still 19 days. It's under 750 miles from Flint to here. If the average speed was 10mph, that's 75hrs or just over three days. Plus stops for a total of five days waiting for various things, transfers inspections and whatnot. It's a two hour drive from Framingham to here.

Let's say the train only runs 8hr days, 8.375 days, round up to 9 days plus 5 for stopped time and one day on the truck for a total of 15 days. I way overestimated the time of travel and still came up with four extra days. I think the most time it would take to get a truck anywhere in the country would be around a week. They're sitting around somewhere...

Ox
Blue Ox, Have you ever rode on a train, I did once and I made a promise to myself, I would never do it again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My truck has been sitting at the Framingham (about 12 miles from dealer) train station since 2:00Am Thursday morning. Dealer says there is nothing he can do about it. If I weren't already bald, I would be pulling my hair out!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Godfreys,

I don't know if there are regional differences, but when I was selling we used to go get them once in awhile.

Must be the same here as it was when I was selling since my dealer has already decided he's going to go pick it up from the railhead rather than wait. The railhead is about 35 miles from here. You just have to be careful since the PDI won't have been done.

Me thinks your dealer is/has been really jacking you around. I've been really antsy about that since Howard and my dealer both told me my truck got shipped 01-16-04 at 04:20 and GM says 5 to 7 days from Pontiac to Salt Lake City. I'm not gona wait for those local transport guys to do their thing when they get good and ready.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree about my dealer, Not real happy with them to date. It's funny, I placed the order with them because I liked their laid back no sh#t approach, but now I'm thinking they are just plain lazy. There have been several little things along the way that made me question their sincerity/ integrity but I am going to wait till the deal is done before I pass judgement. Hopefully they will come through in the end.

Signed, The eternal optimist.

Jim G.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's here!!!!!filled out the paperwork today, pick it up tomorrow.

The money guy was very straightforward and great to deal with. (No BS) Even knocked a some bucks off to counter the increases GM made since I ordered the truck.

Destination up 45,

LLY 172 increase invoice

base truck up 66 invoice

Maybe their not so bad after all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My new LLY was built late on 1-16-04 in Flint & arrived in Upper Sandusky, Ohio at 4:30 on 1-19-04 while I was sitting there talking to the Finance guy. I keep telling my wife that I am the one who lives right.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Godfreys, I know you already have your truck, but My dealer told me the same thing about picking up the truck in Framingham. It maybe the yards regs....

Yes I've ridden a few trains, hence the 10mph in the equation...

Ox

1 - 20 of 22 Posts