Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had three of these trucks, 00, 02 & 03. After 8 months, each of the trucks had the same problem... the rear started to drop.
Every time I went to the dealer I would check the bed height against a new one, always the same answer: It's 1&1/2 inches shorter. I even took "all" (except the B&W Hitch) of the stuff out of my bed. Last week I bought some 305's and mounted them on 16x8 wheels, only to find out that the torsion bars would need to be turned up "all the way" to clear the fenders.
That wasn't bad but the rear of the truck just did not sit well with me being "lower" than the front. This only bothered me because; I carry 300 to 1,000 lbs. of tools every day and pull a (med-heavy 10-12k) trailer about once a week. I don't want to "fish" all over the road. So...... I went to my local spring shop and had them install an extra leaf spring under the first spring, the one with the eyes. Holly smokes!!!
The truck sits almost 2" higher in the rear and looks GREAT! I was worried about the ride but to my amazement it's better!
The only thing I can think of is that the bottom leaf sits like it did when I bought the truck. I did think about Air-bags but decided against them after hauling "heavy loads" (40 to 65 tons) with the air-bag lowboy and then the sprung lowboy. I just don't want another thing to break plus, I feel more safe.
--- Note: I did not "re-arch" my springs in fear that one side would get more heat and cause my truck to list.

--- Here's what I got
One long leaf spring with plenty of rubber (no-squeak), new forward bolts, new U-bolts washers and nuts installed. Total price --
too much...........but worth it!

Gotta love this truck !

Burner---------->

·
Registered
221 Posts
Burner, your not the only one with sagging springs. I,ve got the same trouble with my 02', and I've done the same thing you did, went to the dealer a couple different times to measure hieghts only to realize my truck sits about 1-1 1/2" lower.
Sounds like I should make an appointment at the spring shop, these trucks look so much nicer when they sit up a little bit! I was considering installing 1 1/2" blocks under the springs, but if a new leaf in each side makes it ride better, that sounds like a better idea.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shop that installed mine "would not" reuse the OEM U-bolts. The owner and the laborer said that the u-bolts can (will) stretch and in reusing them a fracture could result, snapping the u-bolt. I don't like to waste money but safty is allways a concern.

Burner--------->

·
Registered
612 Posts
Have any of you with this problem considered adding Air Bags? over 30,000 miles ago I had the longest removable spring leaf taking off my 3500 (drastically improved the empty ride) and added Air Lift Air Bags ... has worked well, no sign of any sag ... Jim

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JEBar, I had thought about adding a set of Goodyear bags. I think that they are really nice but not for me. I wanted something with "0" failure rate, so I added the spring. However, to my amazement, the Truck rides better now than before.
The springs give me about 1,200 lbs more load, all I really need. Besides, if I have one more "gadgit" to fiddle with while I'm driving... I'll wreck.

--- I would not use bags to support my load, only to supple the ride. You might want to call your insurance agent and make sure "all is well" by removing that spring. IMHO

Thanks,

Burner------->

1 - 5 of 5 Posts