Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well your early comparison runs show 100hp/100ftlb increase from the heads and cam and rods and minor tuning! There is tons left but the stock injectors might be holding us back now and the torque management is not helping either. The power is much smoother and way more under the curve! This will be a great pulling truck and the driveability is amazing. We will keep you posted. Thanks to everyone who helped on this project and this will make for a great weekend next week!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
So does that mean Taz is over 800 hp now? That's mighty impressive and with stock sticks too. Is he going to upgrade those next? It will be interesting to see how the truck does at the track, both dirt and concrete.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I think having 8 good cylinders might have had some effect on the numbers as well. I'm sure that broken ring set wasn't helping too much in the old motor, either way its great to see it coming together in time for the pull. What were the final numbers?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Congrats and good luck next weekend!! I am going to try and go down to watch you and Tony. Roger

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
sweet....cant wait to see it next weekend

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Where are you pulling it at next weekend? I should be making a trip to MA to pick my truck up. I'd be willing to drive to see a pull somewhere so I can put some miles on it!

·
Registered
508 Posts
bobo;1614245; said:
Where are you pulling it at next weekend? I should be making a trip to MA to pick my truck up. I'd be willing to drive to see a pull somewhere so I can put some miles on it!
Down by Eaton, Ohio Straight south of me about 2- 2.5 HRS.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Engine

The truck responded very well to the heads and cam shaft. We had to modify the tune up to get the low end power back but I think that was do to the cam shaft. I can tell you the motor will take all the fuel we can throw at it with the stock injectors so that will probably be our limiting factor for right now. The cometic head gaskets seem to be doing the trick and the head studs were at the same torque we set them at so everything should be ready to go.

We have a good tune up for the pull coming up but it's not the one with the highest #'s. The curve is awesome and the power is with in the RPM where we want to be. It will take a little track time to get the truck dialed in but I'm confident we can get it ironed out. The only way to truely test it now is to put it on the track and collect some data.

The heads were worth every penny of their cost and I feel the cam was the way to go. This thing has the resonse of a gas motor and the diesel torque to go along with it but I don't have any fuel mileage data yet to see how it will effect everything. The truck is just a hobby but I think it will be a competitave peice this year for the pulls I want to attend and we will get some track time at the strip to see if the truck will run in the 11's with some minor changes. I would like to drive it to the track, run a 11 second pass then drive it home.

I hope this helps others make a better decision on what they want to do.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Just incredible!!! Congrats!!!

Are you going to pull on a circuit for points or just hit some select pulls "here and there" as time and desire allow for?

Good luck. I hope to see you pulling at some point.

·
Registered
774 Posts
We are going to pull at the Ohio indoor pull this weekend to see how it does. I'm not one to boast about kicking butt so I'm not going to say I'm going to win but I should be able to run with the pack and put on a good show provided the truck does it's job. Anyone that goes and wants to check things out is more than welcome. I have no secrets and I think I have sharred most of the information about the truck with some minor exceptions that will not cause anyone issues with their build.

We will be hitting some select pulls when my schedule allows and I have been contacted about doing a couple of articles in magazines so I'm at least having a little fun with it but I'm a little burnt out at this point do to the amount of hours spent on this build but I'm hoping it will pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm with you on that one Ric, but it looks like I may have to build the LLY up like this for Larry now.:eek: Should be alot easier after doing yours plus there is already less stuff under our hood. Larry don't like not have the fastest truck in town but since it is you, he will be ok with it for awhile...

Oh yeah, by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY RIC & LARRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was one hell of a party!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
:clap:

Nice to see some good improvment with the head/cam combo.

·
Registered
425 Posts
What were your HP&TQ Tazman 10?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.