Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first service on the new jeep liberty Diesel and while I had it up on the lift noticed oil on the passanger side of the engine. Got the light out and discovered the bottom of the turbo was covered with oil, dripping down onto the side of the block. Since it only has 7000 miles on it I became very concerned and my first thought was that the seals in the turbo were shot and it was going to start pumping oil into the intake and this is very very BAD!!!
After pulling the air filter cover off and while attempting to remove the air intake tube attached to the turbo, (this is no easy task as it is not like my 99 cummins with lots of room. the jeeps intake is CRAMMED into a very small space and a lot of work to remove, as a matter of fact it is almost impossible to see the turbo from topside because of all the stuff in such a small space.) I discovered a tube running from the air intake to the top of the engine. PVC folks.
Can you believe they are "VENTING THE CRANKCASE" into the intake directly in front of the turbo. "DISBELIEF" is the only way I can discribe what I was seeing. We as diesel owners spend hundreds of dollars to filter microns of dust out of our intake air and these "STUPID, STUPID" Engineers have designed the positive crankcase vent to go directly in front of the turbo. There was so much oil in there that it has seeped past the hose clamp and run down the turbo housing to the engine block and almost all the way down to the oil pan.
I am posting this so other Jeep owners can be aware of it. If I had not been doing my own oil change on my lift I most likely never would have noticed it since you can't see it from the top. I don't go to the jeep forums much so I have never heard of this before. I removed the hose from the intake and plugged the hole and added a hose extention to the pcv to vent to the ground like my cummins. This should solve the problem. But I am still angry and amazed. These are variable vane turbos and generally aren't as sturdy as the standard turbos any way. Now it is covered with oily dirty crap. Deeesscusting.......:rant::rant::rant:
Took some photos and will post as soon as I can figure out how to get them on here.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts

Here you go Betty :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darn, Kat you are not only fast on the track, but fast on the computer. Thanks so much for posting these. Much appreciated. :grd:

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Very common for PCV (postitive crankcase ventalation) to vent into the intake.

The LLY's and LBZ duramax's do it as well and we have the same problem with oil in the lower intercooler boot.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very common for PCV (postitive crankcase ventalation) to vent into the intake.

The LLY's and LBZ duramax's do it as well and we have the same problem with oil in the lower intercooler boot.
So what does this do to your turbo??? Why don't you plug the hole in the intake off and vent it out to the ground????

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
You can't seal up the crank case. you need to vent it but all that oil will make a mess so you almost need to collect it or filter it. There have been some here who have modded their PCV for this reason. I think it needs positive ventilation as well, in other words it needs a vacuum pulling air out of the crank case through the vent.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
The dealer should handle it, but it just involves cleaning the hose connections and applying some sealant then retightening the clamp.

It will not hurt your turbo to "eat" oil. Many LLY Dmaxes do the same thing, but leak on your driveway instead.

When it happened to Blue, I thought I blew the seals in the turbo, but 40k mi later, AOK.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer should handle it, but it just involves cleaning the hose connections and applying some sealant then retightening the clamp.

It will not hurt your turbo to "eat" oil. Many LLY Dmaxes do the same thing, but leak on your driveway instead.

When it happened to Blue, I thought I blew the seals in the turbo, but 40k mi later, AOK.
Man, I just can't live with this balonie..... I already vented it to the atmosphere and I will see if the amount of oil is reduced now that the turbo isn't sucking the oil out of the engine. The Dodge just vents out to the ground and only drips occasionally now that it has 88000 miles on it. If it would have done this with that few miles when it was new I would have probably bought a Ford. -:tAny way I still don't think it is good for the turbo to have grimy oil going through it. And I don't care if the EPA likes it or not, I'm not going to fill my intercooler etc. with oil. Water/Meth Maybe, but not oil.:rant::)

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
Get an air/oil seperator.

I did it on the TDI. Not a big deal.

Venting to the atmosphere is a hazard.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
get use to it. EVERY diesel of recent or future manufature will do it. Just like gassers.

Jim

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
get use to it. EVERY diesel of recent or future manufature will do it. Just like gassers.

Jim
Okay, well they all put EGR valves on them too, but that's another stupid thing. And I haven't gotten used to that either. It defeats the purpose of an intercooler to put hot exhaust gasses into the intake of a diesel. Makes the air less dense so you get more unburned fuel into the air. Just ask the big boys who add fuel for more Horse power and then need a bigger turbo to get more air so they can burn all that fuel. Same principal applys. So now we collect all the PVC oil in the turbo or the intercooler boots and it leaks out onto the ground when we park it or if you notice it and open up the system it dumps out on your arm and onto the ground then. Either way it, for the most part ends up on the ground. On the later model 2000 and up Dodge Cummins they put a collection cup on the end of the breather tube but no one ever changed them when people took them in for an oil change so they ended up getting full and dripping out onto the ground anyway. Where is the sense in all of this. Can't get used to nonsense!:eek::

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm pretty sure the TDIs insert CCV into the intake on the post side of the turbo. I wonder what the advantage/disavantge is of post/pre turbo?

Like manny said, do a search for the Provent oil/air separator. They work like a charm.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it looks like I am going to have to since the darn thing is going to puck oil all over the driveway if I don't . I guess I should have taken the $$$ and bought another Cummins. This is rediculous. -:t

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm pretty sure the TDIs insert CCV into the intake on the post side of the turbo. I wonder what the advantage/disavantge is of post/pre turbo?

Like manny said, do a search for the Provent oil/air separator. They work like a charm.
Post turbo? Don't think so, you would be presurizing your crankcase then.

Jim

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

By the way. If you vent the crankcase post turbo how can you prevent pressurized air from entering back into the crankcase? If you put a one way valve it seems the pressure would hold it shut and then you could not vent the CC. ???? Just a question...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
you can't prevent it, jholly 's got it. get air/oil seperator make sure to install right side up to drain properly. crankcase open to air allows contaminents in during cold start-up, and depletes TBN quicker. suction allows engine to run better and longer(less outside dirt intrusion). oil on compressor wheel will pick up dirt and add weight to wheel(slowing down) reducing air flow to engine. i used to water wash turbo on ship with dawn/water mix(intercooler had condensate drains at low point) good tow will help clean out also, get turbo moving max air for several hours helps dry out. cat's were bad if idled long time.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The TDI vents PRE turbo in the intake hose just down from the MAF sensor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts