Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the signature says it all. I replaced the injection pump and now it misses heavily and smokes like one of those Hollywood smoke machines. It also pops and blows smoke through the driver's side intake. Mostly cylinder 5 and 3. If I let it run for 5 minutes I get enough smoke under the hood to obscure the engine. :HiHi:

I thought initially I must have crossed lines 5 and 6, so I checked and rechecked it at least 10 times and sadly that was not the case. Then I figured I must be off a tooth or something on the IP gear, so I pulled the water pump and what not off, and it was lined up as it should be.

I replaced the old pump because it was starting hard, smoking moderately bad on cold start (cleared up when hot), and getting 14 mpg on average. Also, my last compression check had all cylinders between 390 and 410.

Old pump is a Roosamaster DB2829 YL4090. Reman pump from rockauto.com is a DELPHI EX836012.

Is it possible for a reman injection pump to be that bad? Or did I do something really wrong? I have changed a few 6.2 pumps in the last 15 years and never seen anything like this before.

I swear this truck is cursed. I feel like I have replaced half the truck already, and it still isn't right.:facepalm:

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,163 Posts
It is possible you might have picked up a bad reman pump.I probably would return it.If your looking for a good pump I have one for sale.Its used but I will guarantee it or your money back.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Hmmm ....

Why was the original pump replaced?
Did you do injectors at the same time?
The pin for the IP input shaft, is it in the round hole or the proper slotty one?

Ya smoke up the intake tells me something is off in the injection/valve timing world .... cause it should never do that. I would recheck the lines.

Ya even a "reman" IP can be just new seals and go but they can't cause specific cylinder/s miss's cause of how it works inside. think of it as a 8 shot revolver but it reloads a 1 shot chamber each hammer re cock and advances the 8 barrels instead of a cylinder.... make sense ...??

:bigglasse

·
Registered
13 Posts
I replaced the pump because it was getting increasingly hard to start and smoking worse than usual when cold. I did not change the injectors at the same time.

The pump pin is in the slot, not the round hole.

It is possible that the #5 cylinder intake valve is bent or damaged. When I purchased the truck I discovered the lifter on #5 cylinder intake had catastrophically failed and the rocker shaft was broken. It didn't have a noticeable pop or miss with the old pump though after repairing the above damage.

Just to double check: When the timing mark on the (new) harmonic balancer is at 0 on the scale and the circles on the cam and pump gear are lined up, the pump timing is set properly, right? I have two different manuals for this truck and that's what I'm understanding from them.

I will pull the new (reman) pump and put the old one back in tonight. If it runs normal again I'll send the reman pump back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently I can't edit posts either. I accidentally sent the above before I was finished... just hasn't been my day.

Anyhow, I put in the old pump and it runs much better, but I discovered that all the smoke is coming from the egr exhaust port under my intake gasket and not number 5 cylinder. I really should have realized that earlier... :facepalm:

I did notice that the passenger side is not really smoking much at all, at least with the old pump... but the driver's side is throwing out quite the smokescreen. I am guessing I must have some bad injectors. Maybe I am off base, but I am guessing the new pump puts out higher pressure and made the injector issues worse.

I have a bag of new injector needles and what not somewhere... now if only I could find it.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
You need a few more posts before you get to edit them (I believe somewhere in the 30-40 post range or so), then you can edit posts for about 30 minutes.

You can also click on the little triangle next to "Online" within your post, to send a message to an admin, and then indicate how you want the post modified, and they will do it, if they aren't too cranky that day...

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Yaa I kinda wondered about the EGR port ... but late night replies and forgotten bits ....

I would skip trying to rebuild yours, if they are worn ... they are worn ... get a new set of Boche or Delphi and don't look back.

If you wana double check, swap 2 injectors side to side, re fire and take notes, swap 2 more .... & on & on

:bigglasse

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Just for giggles advance the pump and see if it runs better...that should be rotated to the drivers side standing in front of motor (driver is left side as sitting in truck)

I've had motors with incorrect timing marks stamped on either the pump or the timing cover, and so far everything to me says very retarded timing.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1993 chevy silverado c3500 crew cab dually
1,158 Posts
Great info. Sorry to thread jack but if I get a puff of dark gray smoke on fire up. But does not last is that due to the hx35 or timing? I did pump and turbo really close to each other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts