Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new here but I've had my 1991 dodge cummins since it was new. I've enjoyed this pickup but recently I got a 25' travel trailer and it has had a little trouble pulling it. I'd have thought the cummins would have more power. So, I did some research on the web and increased the injector pump pressure a little. I only went one turn on the power screw on the back of the pump, turned the smoke screw (or whatever you call it) on the top CW 1.5 turns and clicked the little star wheel CW 10 clicks. I also rotated the diaphragm tick 1/4 turn to the right. It was set at 3'oclock stock and now it's at 6'oclock.
It has alot more power now but I'm worried about things like EGT. Do I need to get a pyrometer for what I've done? Or do I really not need to worry about it?
That was my main question. Now for a few others.

Will this increase in power harm the tranny? I've heard it's a weak link. Also, I really need to change my tranny oil. What's a good oil to use? I've never changed it before.
I know, bad but I want to do it now.

Is there a good cleanable air filter for this truck? I'd like to be able to clean it instead of throwing the old one away and save some $$.

Any other advise for my setup is welcomed.

Nice to meetcha! and thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Old ram it would be a good Idea to get a pyrometer so you don't melt things down I got mine here www.piersdiesel.com anything you need to know about these engine piers is the man you want to talk to. You can get a K&N filter for your stock box they work great. Which trans do you have auto or manuel I was told the auto was week but mine hade 140,000 miles on it and was still working good I just wanted to add a lot more power and put in a better one rebuilt by suncoast it was pretty exspensive but well worth the money. Welcome to the board we need all the cummins guys as we can get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi CGS. I have the infamous Getrag manual tranny. My odometer stopped working about 5 years ago at 93K so I think I probably have well over 130K by now. The ol' Getrag is still going strong but I don't really abuse it too much. My little 25' travel trailer only weighs in at about 6K lbs max and that's fully loaded so I don't think I'm putting alot of stress on the drivetrain. It's just that sometimes long steeper grades can pull it down so much that I'm in 3rd gear to the floor to make it over. I haven't pulled it since I turned up my pump a week ago but I think I shouldn't have any problems now. I look into the pyrometer to be safe. Thanks for the advise.

BTW, is that K&N a reusable filter?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oldram yes the k&N is reusable I am not sure what oil your getrag uses but the nv 4500 uses a 75-140 synthetic I know most say that it is best to fill it a quart overfull.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Do you have any suggestions on where the K&N can be purchased?
I've found that the getrag uses 5W-30 motor oil. I'm going to get some today and change it. It's about time I guess, after almost 13 years!

But the owner manual said it doesn't need to be serviced.....right

I will fill it 1 quart over to be safe.

Happy New Year!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't use a K&N filter on the Cummins. One of the best drop in filters for the Cummins is the AFE Pro Guard 7. The filter has 7 layers of media for filtration and very low restriction. The filter is available at www.genosgarage.com for around $82.

MikeyB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads-up Mikey. I've heard some bad things about K&N filters for other applications but I'm really looking for a cleanable/reusable filter for my 91 model. I'll check into the ones at the link you provided. Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have heard that the K&N does not seal right in the stock airbox on the 94 and newer. I run the scotty II with the AFE but by looking at and a K&N the filter media appears the same. I don't think that either will filter the real fine dust. On the cummins web site they don't recommend this type of filter but to make more power and keep egt's in check I will keep what I got. Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts