Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m Lewis in California. I’m looking to pick up my first diesel truck. I’ve looked within a 500 mile radius of Sacramento, California where I live and have found a truck near me that has caught my eye. It’s a 2004 Chevy 2500HD duramax, crew cab, LT, 4x4 with 181,000 miles. Doesn’t look like anything has been done to the motor, body is super clean, leather and interior is super clean and there is no lift on it, but does have after market wheels and tires. The dealership wants $18,500 for it. I see it’s from Alabama, had two previous owners and in its early life CarFax shows it had a minor front end collision (airbags did not deploy). I would have this vehicle inspected by my own mechanic to make sure all was sound. If all checks out with my mechanic, what do you guys think? Too many miles? Too expensive? I’d really like your input. I’ve never worked on a diesel, but I’ve turned wrenches on my 06 Chevy 1500 Silverado. Oil changes, transfer case swap, plug changes, radiator replacements etc. I’m no mechanic by trade that’s for sure, but I also don’t mind doing what I can on my own vehicles. Any help would be awesome!

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
16,000 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
The LB7 ( first generation Duramax) is known for a having a lot of Injector problems.
The most desired Duramax ( pre DEF emissions) would be the LBZ Duramax ( 3rd generation).

Seeing that you're in California you would need to make sure the truck has all of its emissions systems intact and not deleted or you will run into a big expensive headache when trying to register the vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to DieselPlace
The LB7 ( first generation Duramax) is known for a having a lot of Injector problems.
The most desired Duramax ( pre DEF emissions) would be the LBZ Duramax ( 3rd generation).

Seeing that you're in California you would need to make sure the truck has all of its emissions systems intact and not deleted or you will run into a big expensive headache when trying to register the vehicle
Thanks for the heads up. I’m going to do some research on the injectors. I wonder if they are something I can replace myself and the cost factor involved. Being ill have a mechanic check the truck first, they should know if any emission items are missing, you think?

·
Administrator
16,000 Posts
You can do Injectors yourself over a weekend and with the right tools.
A mechanic can do a visual inspection for any possible missing or altered emissions equipment.
Tuning out emissions is another problem you may run into where someone has installed a tune to "Turn off" emissions equipment.
This is something a mechanic may miss during an inspection.
You can do some reading about the Injectors by going to the LB7 FAQ page :

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can do Injectors yourself over a weekend and with the right tools.
A mechanic can do a visual inspection for any possible missing or altered emissions equipment.
Tuning out emissions is another problem you may run into where someone has installed a tune to "Turn off" emissions equipment.
This is something a mechanic may miss during an inspection.
You can do some reading about the Injectors by going to the LB7 FAQ page :
Ok thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts