Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 1996 Suburban 6.5 with 258k. Checked it out really good when purchasing it and seems really well cared for. No blow by from oil fill cap, no smoke at startup, doesn’t stumble after stabbing throttle, runs at 185*, clean coolant, oil clean. Oil pressure at hot idle might be low @ 40psi. It has the 4 speed auto, a noticeable hang between 2-3. Cruise button stuck and may be broken, horn not working.

It’s replacing a commuter rig that the block cracked of another make. I only drive 7 miles to work so I’m concerned it’s not a long enough run. Any recommendations on additives for oil and fuel on this suburban? Thanks, and great site!
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Car

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
572 Posts
Welcome!
That’s a clean 25 year old rig.
Many fellas swear by adding some 2-stroke oil when fueling. The new low sulfur diesel(15ppm) doesn’t provide enough lubricity to the fuel system on older rigs designed to run on 500ppm of sulfur. You can also check with vendors here. Kennedy diesel for example offers different options of fuel additives.
On oil additives, someone else will have to chime in.

·
Administrator
20,260 Posts
Welcome

As mentioned above, you can add some TC W3 two-stroke oil ( 1 ounce of oil, per every 2 gals of fuel in the tank )
Oil pressure is ok from what you posted. Just run a good synthetic15w40 like Shell Rotella

Reactions: firestopper

·
Administrator
20,260 Posts
Reactions: firestopper
1 - 5 of 5 Posts