Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While under the front of my truck the other day greasing the suspension I noticed that the crank pulley has seen better days so I got a new Dorman one (ugh) and went about installing it this afternoon.

I removed the upper radiator shroud, serp belt, fan/clutch assy, then the lower radiator shroud. This gives plenty of access to get the sucker off.

I unbolted the (4) 15mm bolts holding on the pulley and wiggled it off. I looked at the harmonic balancer and noticed the rubber was a little distorted looking so I reached up to give it a wiggle and with very little force, the outer ring of the balancer came off in my hands! :eek:

I must have caught it just in time.

I went back to the store to purchase a new one (suprisingly in stock...Dorman also). I also "rented" a HB removal kit. More on that later. They did not have a HB install kit for rent that had the correct M16 X 1.5 adaptor for this engine so I figured I would go find one or go get a long bolt, nut, and some washers for it later.

I got home and easily pulled the old one off using the removal kit, but I noticed that the bolt used for pushing threaded right in to my crank snout...cool :)

I took the new HB and got it started on the snout, then used both the old washer and the new washer(came with new HB) then threaded on the jaw thing and used it to spin on the new HB.

Man, that was too easy.

I got the HB bottomed out, then removed my improvised setup and torqued the new bolt down to 200 lb-ft.

I put the new pulley on, and bolts got some loctite 271 and then torqued to 20 lb-ft.

Then got the rest buttoned up. I have to say that it idles a little smoother now, maybe it's just me though.

Here is the kit I "rented" from Autozone and worked great for removal and installation. It cost $20 here, then I took it back for a full refund.

This really is an easy job to do and it takes longer getting stuff out of the way then it does to actually do the job.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
Good job. Your engine thanks you.

Hope your pulley lasts longer than my last 3 have...ugh!

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
There is the higher quality fluid damper but is there a good pulley too? It sounds like the dorman stuff is not much better than an old factory one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
AVOID Dorman... And here's a tip on crank pulleys....

Nice job, definetly a worthwhile main't item so many people ignore and never do until its too late. Also ALWAYS place both the crank pulley and harm balancer the same time.... Or at least if you are in there doing one of them make sure the other looks DARN good, if not replace it too. Not doing to would be like going and buying ONE new shoe and then running a marathon like that. SO stupid! A word on Dorman... Avoid at all costs. Trust me, i run an auto shop...I have had a lot of experience with dorman stuff over the years and its been one disappointment after another. And sadly I've even noticed it getting worse and worse. The only time we will ever use it anymore is if customer insists on cheapest option (idiots).... but we always warn them against it.

One tip... If you are looking to replace your crank pulley Peninsular Engines new take-off OEM pulleys for the 6.5 for sale for like $65. The second cheapest I could find for an AC Delco one was on rock auto for about $95, so this is a pretty good deal. They take these off brand new engines they buy from General Engine Products that they turn into marine units. They also have flywheels, speed sensors, and a few other "take off" goodies. I spoke with randy there and he was professional and friendly.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the Peninsular pulls...I may just give them a call - I'm tired of paying $75 every 1.5 years and going through the hassle of replacing the stupid chinese garbage pulleys.

Curiously enough the last 3 failures have all happened really close to home, but given how much we travel it's only a matter of time before one happens when we're in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nice write-up. Did you have to secure the flywheel from turning when torquing on your HB?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, you need to pull the inspection cover and hold the flywheel while torquing. I used a piece of angle iron.

When taking the old one off, I used an impact.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
Using an impact on anything directly connected to your crankshaft is a bad idea.

Good old fashioned hand tools is what you want to use here, and a good torque wrench for the re-torque...200 ft lbs is a lot of torque.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
when the HB blow do they make terrible knocking sound? i say this bc i had a old 92 grand am with a bad one the rubber was shot and at idel would sound like a bad rod but when you reved it up it would be quite something like that?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Im going to be waiting for the replies on this one, I just noticed a odd sound on my 5.7 diesel and didn't think to look at the balancer. Thinking about it now my 6.5 makes a odd clank the first second it starts but then is good. I looked at it when I bought it and it looked good them but I guess I should look again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts