Diesel Place banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I can at some point. I will say I'm not the only one. Diaric has some from back in the day. Here is another thread about it. They are definitely out there! I only have the info I posted in the thread below. My plan is to stick one of these boards to the back then use the trimming pot to make it all accurate. This guy will also work on your tach. For me I'm going to be running it off the crank sensor (I've got a 6bt) which is two pulses per rev. But it's totally doable!

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can at some point. I will say I'm not the only one. Diaric has some from back in the day. Here is another thread about it. They are definitely out there! I only have the info I posted in the thread below. My plan is to stick one of these boards to the back then use the trimming pot to make it all accurate. This guy will also work on your tach. For me I'm going to be running it off the crank sensor (I've got a 6bt) which is two pulses per rev. But it's totally doable!

Aha interesting, but i would like to see your tach! I just read the links you post and they are talking from a tach out of a medium duty truck which has the fuel gauge integrated! And those tachs were not intended for the light duty trucks. So as it seems to me is the 4000 rpm tach for the light duty trucks still a myth because nobody can show me a picture or post some official GM wiring diagrams or similar!!!!!! I search for a proof.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,760 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is a pic of a 4k tach with fuel gauge in this thread

Hi legendman,
Thats indeed an interestin thread but i am searching for a proof that there was a 4000 rpm tach WITHOUT integrated fuel gauge as roadhog0 is trying to tell me. Do you have some more infos about that myth? Let's see how deep we can dig in the rabbit hole.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
No no, not trying to say there was a light duty 4k tach. Just that there was a 4k tach, which happens to be from a medium duty truck and has a fuel gauge in it. It will work in a light duty, it's the same gauge cluster housing with a hole for the tach wiring.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So I admit that the thought of a tach is appealing to me, because it does sound like it's revving pretty high at very moderate highway speeds...but it sounds like there's some serious engineering needed to get it working accurately? If I could even find one, that is...although ironically there are a couple squarebody-era dump trucks for sale locally, so perhaps they are out there...

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,760 Posts
So I admit that the thought of a tach is appealing to me, because it does sound like it's revving pretty high at very moderate highway speeds...but it sounds like there's some serious engineering needed to get it working accurately? If I could even find one, that is...although ironically there are a couple squarebody-era dump trucks for sale locally, so perhaps they are out there...
I used an ISSPRO, the factory setup is appealing though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Cool, I know there are lots of aftermarket options out there, but I would like to at least try to get the stock gauges working if possible. As the esteemed Mr. Cloud stated, I am indeed finding the diesel gauges are very rare, and these days even the gas ones are going for big bucks...one of these days if I find a spare set I will tear into them and at least try to get those going first. Otherwise if I just can't do that then i'll jump to the aftermarket sets, which I admit are nice because you can do so much customization...

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
For ease, I would get a 5k gas tach and use that. That would be pretty easy to get setup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
were those just an option all through the years on any trucks, or were they standard on some? Anything to be on the lookout for, or just watch details to spot one?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Honestly, I would just buy one new, but that's me. You would find them in gas V8 stuff that usually had a higher trim package.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts