Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been reading for about a mounth and i love the site.got a 94 crew cab 1-ton w/ 6.5 diesel.only has 40,000 miles on it! been a part of a local fire dept. so its been in a heated garage forever.there is no rust anywere.believe me its clean!got the truck for free so i can put some $ in it(will explain the free part at a later time).it had a cough under load so i checked the lift pump,it was bad.put a new one on,runs great.but it has coughed twice and has had trouble strarting once since i put on the new pump.i have read that the P.M.D. could be the next in line.it has the 30214 model on the it.i have read that i need the 34264,so i will try to find one today.it will prolly b a dealer item ??? but i dont know.my ? is, how do i get the thing off??it so close.would it b easier to take off the injection pump? please let me know your thoughts. thanx

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Welcome to the site,

OPS (oil pressure switch) powers the lift pump during engine opperation. Check fuel pressure at idle by opening the air or water bleed and seeing if any flow is present.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Easiest thing to do is acquire a few used spares cheap and plug them into an extension harness off the engine (out of the heat).

It is alot of trouble to pull one off the pump, or put one back on it.

Retest the fuel system, engine off, power the lift pump and open the air bleed. Any air at the top may indicate a leak in the system that is letting in air.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think QM was talking about the PMD in his last post.

·
Registered
584 Posts
All you newbies how about filling out a signture with your truck info, check the FAQ for how to do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i went 2 a diesel shop today,an right off the bat they scream injection pump! the guy said since the lift pump was out that the injection pump prolly ran dry(so there was no lubrication in the pump) and metal shaving r floating around and cause the pump to not work correctly.said they could get a pump for 1,100 and the p.m.d. comes with it. this is not what i have been reading.any ideas??
also...is the lift pump sopposed to pump everytime u shut the truck off.mine doesnt run everytime,infact most of the time it doesnt.but i only had a hard starting problem once.
thanx

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Go through troubleshooting 1st; IP is last thing to change after all other possibilities are exhausted. when was last fuel filter change

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Can you give a better description of "cough", kinda vague that description, smoke, stall, shutdown single cough or multiple coughing fit, got any gauge data or codes.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i went 2 a diesel shop today,an right off the bat they scream injection pump!
Don't ya just love them "shops" that have little knowledge and even less respect for the 6.5 and all they know when something goes wrong with it is INJECTION PUMP.......cha ching.
My truck won't start what is wrong. INJECTION PUMP.......cha ching!
My tire keeps going flat and its a new tire. INJECTION PUMP.....cha ching!
The air conditioner doesn't work. INJECTION PUMP.....cha ching!

Get the picture?:lol:

·
Registered
187 Posts
LOL..good thing I didn't mention my muffler bearings were going out, they would have wanted to sell me an IP to fix that. LMAO!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Those IP's fix anti-skid floormats too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It takes a special optional installation kit, but yes it will.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it actually stalls the truck sometimes, but i just push in the clutch and release and it starts(if im moving).yesterday it stalled at the fuel pump as i pulled in.it has stumbled and not stalled before.its seems to b getting worse.yesterday it did it twice.before that it only happened 2times in 4 weeks,and started hard once.
??

·
Registered
275 Posts
outcastpunk, the stalling is a classic case of PMD failure IMHO and experience. I have relocated the PMD with a Heath unit. The cough might be what I am still experiencing. Bill Heath calls it a "fish bite". It feels like a one time bad miss in the engine. He has a patch cord for the problem I just haven't bought and installed it yet. You might check his site out or Kennedy's site. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well it went down hill since the last posting.
yesterday on the way to work it stalled over and over.would only run for about 2 mins at a time.so i got it to the dealership were i bought it.have a 30 day warranty,and im at day 35! so they lent me a truck,and putting it in the shop monday.so we will see. it went down hill fast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts