Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First let me say hi, I'am new to this forum but not to diesels. I have never owned a Duramax and know nothing about them. I might have a chance to buy a new Duramax and need some information. When I get the chance I'll look around and read previous posts but this deal might come together within a week or so and need information fast.

The truck will be a new one.
Any engine issues I should be aware of ?
How many miles are tipical before rebuild?
Hows the 1000 Allison holding up to the new power?
Is the Allison 1000 the same transmission used on previous Duramax's?
What type of fuel mileage can I expect nontowing and towing 12,000 lb 5th wheel?

I'am sure I'll think of more questions as time goes on so thanks for your input in advance.

Thanks,

·
Registered
108 Posts
First let me say hi, I'am new to this forum but not to diesels. I might have a chance to buy a new Duramax and need some information. When I get the chance I'll look around and read previous posts but this deal might come together within a week or so and need information fast.

The truck will be a new one.
Any engine issues I should be aware of ?
How many miles are tipical before rebuild?
Hows the 1000 Allison holding up to the new power?
Is the Allison 1000 the same transmission used on previous Duramax's?
What type of fuel mileage can I expect nontowing and towing 12,000 lb 5th wheel?

I'am sure I'll think of more questions as time goes on so thanks for your input in advance.

Thanks,
There are always engine issues with a few, by and large it is a great engine and transmission.

Don't worry about rebuild unless you are planning on going over 300,000+.

The Allison is the best part of the whole deal.

The new 6 spd is an improved version of the old 1000

I get 8-9 with a 19,000 fifth wheel and 15 overall unloaded.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response.
19,000 lbs is that the weight of your 5th wheel or combined weight.

I'll be around 20,000 combined loaded for the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm thinking of making the switch also, will be test driving the GMC and a Dodge this weekend, currently have an 04 F250 6.0, Ford is giving me trouble on fixing an oil leak just because I have after market intake and exhaust, so we'll see what happens.

Reading about the new engine I would love to have a quiter engine with the same pulling power, also my 04 has leaf springs in front so turning radius stinks, how are the GMC's for turning??

Thanks guys
FM

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I think the general concensus is actually what has been said. I don't have an LBZ or a 6-speed, but I love my D-Max. Great power, fun to drive...you will be hard pressed to find a lot of bad comments about these great trucks.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
welcome, towed heavy this past weekend, 3712 raptor, 100 gal. water, 50 gal. gas, 2 full size four wheeler, dirt bike and all other assorted stuff, plus full tank of fuel in truck, easily over 20,000. the power is awesome, the trans. was amazing in tow/haul with grade braking, also the harder you use the brakes the faster the trans. would downshift to help slow down.
never fell under 70 on any hill unless necessary, mileage 11 mpg. empty mileage 16 or so.
truck and engine package is simply awesome.
for firstfamily man, i had 04 f-350 psd, nothing but trouble, have no regrets at all switching to dmax. no problems so far.

·
Registered
627 Posts
A good friend of mine has an 04 PSD F350, its actually the reason I even started looking for a diesel. I like the fact that everything is overbuilt and they last a long time.

He said this about my truck when he drove it.

"Its Faster, Quieter, and rides a lot smoother." We are towing a Mustang out to a friend about 500 miles away this weekend. He called me today, "My check engine light came on, can we take your truck?"

Oh alll right.... :cool:

I think the Fords look better on the outside, but thats about it. The GM interior is nicer, the drivetrain is better, it rides and handles better.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I bought my new LBZ Duramax back in December 2005. It was the first diesel I have ever owned, however my uncle has had a Durmax for years. He has never had any trouble out of his. I only have about 1900 miles on mine but it has been nothing but impressive. I have only towed about 3200 lbs with it but it pulled a 6 mile 8% grade in sixth gear like the camper was not behind it. As far as fuel mileage I have got as high as 20.5 on the highway and it gets about 16 around town. It has twice the torque that my 5.3 gasser had and I can tell a huge difference when towing. Its a big mean diesel truck that gets the job done....whats not to like?
:grd:

·
Registered
23 Posts
The D/A combo is a win win. I have test drove a Chevy and the GMC with the D/A and I was blown away. I was almost ready to buy a Ford F-350PSD when my son in law called me from So. Cal. He had his 02 7.3 in for some service work. His 7.3 has over 360,000 miles on the clock and still going strong.

He mentioned to the Ford tech that I was looking to possibly buy a new 2006 F-350 PSD. The tech then pointed to a row of pickups and said that we call those trucks lined up, 6.0 row.

They were all in for warranty work of some type. This tech told my son in law to tell me to perhaps look around at other options and to stay away from the 6.0,s. Just to many problems.-:t

Now I know all trucks will have issues from time to time, but that news from my son in law who is a dyed in the wool Ford guy was a gut check for me.):h

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hello,

My first diesel truck as well.

A friend of mine which has enough money to buy any brand of truck he wants that currently owns a Ford, helped me out with the questions I hard regarding diesel trucks. At the end of our conversation he said; "Mark, you need to get the new Duramax with the new six speed Allison transmission".

I followed his advice and am very happy.:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am looking at getting a new Duramax in November. I really like my 03 but need towing mirrors and 4wd. The reason for Nov. is we are not camping and can break the truck in. I also hope they have a good sale at that time of year. I did look at a Dodge yesterday but I really like the Allison and the interior of the Dodge was just plain ugly. I could get the Dodge now and no payment until October with no money down. This would give me time to break it in and change the aux fuel tank, but I don't think I would be happy with it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm thinking of making the switch also, will be test driving the GMC and a Dodge this weekend, currently have an 04 F250 6.0, Ford is giving me trouble on fixing an oil leak just because I have after market intake and exhaust, so we'll see what happens.

Reading about the new engine I would love to have a quiter engine with the same pulling power, also my 04 has leaf springs in front so turning radius stinks, how are the GMC's for turning??

Thanks guys
FM
Keep your eyeballs peeled for incentives to owners of 03/04 Fords. You may not want it but may pay a premium of $6500-8000 for the GM otherwise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts