Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 65 Chevy 2wd 3/4 ton truck . I plan on building it to tow my jeep/+friends jeep or my boat long distances. So far I have decided on a 6.2 (because I have one new and 2 old cucv engines) backed with a NV4500 5 speed tranny.Does any one on this board have that combo?Right now I have a rebuilt corprate 14 with 4.10 gears setting in the shed I plan on swaping the orginal axel out for. I figure with that combo I should be turning 2500 rpms at 70 mph ,is that going to be winding her to tite?I was a farmer for along time and never liked pushing my tractor diesels over 2300.What do yall consider the best rpm range for the 6.2? Ive never done a diesel SWAP before , is there anything I should know about dropping in a 6.2? Sorry for all the general questions ,one of my buds at EarlyCJ5.com told me yall were a great bunch of guys over here. Thanks yall

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome!! I just did a similiar swap on my '80 K-20 p/u and I am just about done with it. It was a pretty easy straight forward swap...and since your truck is 2WD, you don't have to worry about clearance issues with the slave cylinder and front drive shaft. I think your best bet is to get a NV4500 bellhousing from a gasser and use the clutch master and slave cylinder from that as well. It should more or less be a bolt in swap. If you do use the gasser bellhousing, you will need to use the Powermaster gear reduction starter as the factory starter will not clear the bellhousing (the nose cone is too big, however, the Powermaster starter does not use a nose cone, and therefore, has not interference issues) You can get the Powermaster starter from Summit, they are about $300, but in my opinion, worth every penny of it.

As for the RPM's, I know that a 6.2 maxs out at approx. 3600, and I believe optimum cruise is somewhere around the 2000 range. Don't hold me to it though as I am not sure of that! Maybe someone around here cam shed some light on the RPM range of the 6.2. Hope this helps you a little...

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Max HP is at 3600 rpm. Max torque is at 2000 rpm. Redline is somewhere around 4000.

2500 rpm isn't too bad for 70 mph. Might be a tad on the fast side for engine life.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

·
Registered
57 Posts
IMO when you are done you will have a sweet ride.

the 6.2 is the motor that sold me on the fuel economy of a Diesel. Lost an alternator belt with that truck and the wife was thinking we weren't getting home. Ha! Who needs an alternator when you got two stinking batteries?

The old 60's body style are the Censored IMO. One best trucks I ever had was a 62 GMC. the only issue was that Censored three on the tree linkage that would lock between gears at bad times.

Sounds like you have the best of both worlds, if you don’t mind being naturally aspirated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, for the advice , information and compliments. I might price a set of 3.9 gears for the corprate 14 . I plan on finishing the project spring 07 , Ill be in alot once I get started on it. Right now I have a tranny swap and some mods to finish on my jeep then Im going to move over to the truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts