Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had her for 5 days, but there are an accumulation of things that I am calling the dealer to bi*ch about tomorrow. The final straw was when I crawled under the truck today and saw that my upgraded tire option didn't get me an upgraded and matching spare tire. Here's my list so far:

1. Mismatched rim on spare (steel, not aluminum)
2. Mismatched tire on spare (street tread vs on / off road tread)
3. No underhood light
4. No lighted vanity mirror on passenger side
5. No vanity mirror at all on driver side
6. No keyhole on passenger side
7. No lock on tailgate
8. No light in glovebox
9. No ashtray
10. Mixture of metric and SAE bolts

What else am I missing?

Oh, by the way, the truck is still awesome.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Welcome to GM Bean Counter 101 ....

Good luck with the truck ....

Mac

By the way ....

1. Mismatched rim on spare (steel, not aluminum)

Got full spare ...

2. Mismatched tire on spare (street tread vs on / off road tread)

Mine matched .....

3. No underhood light

Mine still works good ,needs a tap once in awhile ....

4. No lighted vanity mirror on passenger side

Me neither in LT decor .....

5. No vanity mirror at all on driver side

See above ....

6. No keyhole on passenger side

Have it .... Youi gotta be kidding ,front ?

7. No lock on tailgate

Who got one stock ??

8. No light in glovebox

Mine works great ....

9. No ashtray

You shouldn't smoke ..... Sure ??

10. Mixture of metric and SAE bolts

Must do ....

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I haven't found an SAE bolt on a truck in many years. Where do they use SAE bolts?

As for there being no lock on the passenger door, I personally don't see a need whatsoever. Maybe if you didn't have a keyless entry it would be good to have a second lock in case the first one fails but who doesn't have keyless entry these days?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I got my truck 2 days ago.

1. I dont know of a full size truck that has an aluminum spare. My 2003 F350 sure doesnt.
2. This is an option from the factory. If I remember right around $11. Given the terrible tread from the OOR tires anyway, I cant see that it would make a difference.
3. I wish mine had one too.
4. Wife wishes mine had one too.
5. Havent looked...I'm ugly :)
6. Cant say Ive put a key in a keyhole in years.
7. No lock on tailgate is just flat out a joke. With the cost of tailgates and how often they are stolen this is a joke.
8. No light in glovebox is sad for a $40K + truck. Heck even Kias have these.
9. Mine came with an ashtray in the console closest to the driver seat. Makes for a great trash can and props up my cell phone.
10. When I'm wrenching on my F350 I never once used an SAE wrench. Hopefully this will be true for my 2500HD as I dont use much SAE anymore.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I agree 100% about the underhood light and, yeah, a glovebox light could come in handy.
Lighted, dimable vanity mirrors SHOULD be standard on trucks that cost as much as ours. Oh, and on both sides too! Though it just reminds me of how grey my hair that I have is getting

But the rest...

I wouldn't want an aluminum spare. I don't think it would survive all that well exposed to the elements and NOT usually being washed regularly. On my '90 I used my spare 2 times and both were to hobble the next day to the tire shop to get a plug. I'm just glad that us truck guys get an actual full size spare.

Mis-matched tire ???....mine matched just fine, though I have the "street" tread.

Passenger side Keyhole....none on mine, but only use the key to start it. As long as I have ONE when the key fob battery kicks the dust. Keyless entry is only on the Up models, not the base or WT.

Locking tailgate....??? WHY?

Mine has an ashtray. Most of todays cars DON'T though.

Cant comment on the bolt sizes yet. Heck I remember when my most popular metric wrench was an ADJUSTABLE WRENCH

·
Registered
79 Posts
Me thinks you should re-direct your bi*ches to the general...
Did your dealer build the truck ???

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Me thinks you should re-direct your bi*ches to the general...
Did your dealer build the truck ???"

You are probably correct. I think I'll write a letter to the the General. The Private at the dealership likes me though, and there may be a chance that I can get a matching tire at least out of the visit. I'll try to see what they can do about the aluminum rim too. I really want to be able to do a 5-way tire rotation. (saves a good chunk of tire money that way)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I dont even have spare on my truck

I have lock on my pass door

Why do you need a lock on tail gate? I never heard of any one getting tail gate stolen

No ash tray don't you know they outlawing smoking

I dont need a vanty mirror not gay

no light under hood have on some older trucks but it no use name one time you worked on you engine with that little light, a flash light or drop light much better.

engines have had metric bolt for years

Why truck should be truck $ 42,000? My first new truck in 85 was $11,000. It all tha dam Yuppies buying suv that you can get a good work truck any more, IFS, push button 4wd, auto locking hubs automatic head lights all crap that not need on real truck.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well the other posts have pretty much covered it. With the exception of the tire (mine matches and I got the off road option), ashtray, (it's just a little removeable deal that sits in the console on mine) and possibly the rim, although I don't think you'll get that, everything else is the General and his bean counters.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just picked up my '04 Duramax on Saturday - it was an ordered truck, so I assume as new as they come... no light under the hood or in the glovebox.

Mackin - did you say you have an underhood light?

It doesn't concern me terribly - I was a little surprised though - my Dakota had a really bright underhood light and everything in side the cab was lighted up. Ah well ... I'd rather have the power than the light... not trying to be philosophical or anything.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Inte

Ya it's a 01 ,we got all the bells and whistles ....

==============================

Maybe GM is trying to break further in to Furd's market share .... Stripper down so it's more attractive to the typical Blue Oval owner ...

Less is more ...

Mac

·
Registered
713 Posts
Underhood Light- When I mentioned to my Tech at the dealership, that I had ordered one, his comment, "What do you need that for, if it breaks, do you know how to fix it?" Good point! My only come back, was that I could tell where it was bleeding from, when it got wounded. He chuckled....

I miss the reel light, that would reach ANYWHERE on the Truck. I ordered one from Eric, and await it's arrival.

My last GMC was an 88 and it had lights out the wazoo. Some were so hard to change upon burn out, I left them that way. It came with a matching wheel, it was steel, but then again, my mom used to give me lunch money too!

Been dealing with mismatched metric/sae for 16 years now. First motor in my 88 was sae, replaced at 186k, and it was metric. Figure that!

Locking tailgate? Who offers that?

Ashtray in center console, little cup thingie..

No Vanity Mirrors at all, that's what we use the cab rear view for. I drive with the outside mirrors, this is a truck after all.

You're driving the BEST truck on the market today! Your glass is more than half full, don't linger on the small empty part!

·
Registered
926 Posts
I agree on the idea that a truck should be a truck... and that is why I bought mine with the base package... roll up windows, have to lock the doors myself and have to open it with a key. Saved me a lot of money too, so I could add the goodies I really wanted on the truck. I love having to crawl across the cab to roll down the passenger side window and unlock the door. and it's regular cab, passengers can sit in the bed and it's an 8 FOOT BED, like a real truck! The four wheel drive is on the floor and has vinyl flooring (much easier to clean up too) especially when I spill a full bottle of Copenhagen spit on the floor... CB in the truck, although they are almost non existent... like Mackin said "less is more"

Dan

·
Banned
394 Posts
well i guess next time you buy a truck you will look at it first....sounds stupid to ***** at them about it you bought the damn thing the way it was.....and no i dont have a light under the hood and glovebox light and on and on but i looked before i bought it

·
Registered
549 Posts
Again, the matching on/off road spare is an option. Its not standard. Its on the order guide.

For those of you that dont know about locking tailgates, where on earth do yall live? I'd guess no where near a big city. In Dallas and other big cities in Texas, that over $1000 tailgate is stolen a lot. It takes all of 1-2 minutes to remove and is worth a lot of money. Ford has addressed this by putting locks on their tailgates. My assumption was that all the makes had this. I did not know this until I bought my 2500HD.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm with turfmower on this one as far as the tailgate lock. I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and have never had or have heard of a tailgate getting stolen.

·
Registered
204 Posts
1) I too was disappointed that the spare rim was steel. Same situation on the '96. I'll get over it though, get to buy the tires I would have chosen 20% sooner.

2) All 5 of my tires were identical

3) Both my trucks have underhood lights, and a special thankyou goes to the General for couterbalanced hoods. Both features are usefull for fluid level checks in the dark. My wife's Honda Odyssey has neither and finding the hole for the midnight blue prop-rod in the midnight blue hood in the dark, and then finding the dipstick tube after checking the oil level is a hassle.

4) Seems right, I don't ever sit over there but I don't think it has lights.

5) I'm still trying to figure out why the Odyssey does have a lighted vanity mirror on the driver' side. Very effective for destroying your night vision! If you've got something in your eye use the rear-view and the map light, otherwise, what are you looking at?

6) Really? I think there's one over there, but I probably haven't used it. Hmmmm, now you've got me wondering

7) Haven't lost one yet. Don't know anyone that has either, but I suppose it could happen. Sure would be a hassle to go to load something in the truck and realise I'd left the tailgate locked. I suppose it could be tied in with the power door locks, like the lift gate on the Odyssey. Sounds like extra $$ for no utility to me though. Had a '97 F-150 as a work (company) truck, it had a tailgate lock which we would occasionally lock as a joke.

8) Everything I own has a light in the glovebox.

9) The trucks have ashtrays, the Odyssey doesn't. I don't care.

10) There's not an SAE fastener on any of these vehicles. The only things sized in SAE units are the wheels and possibly the exhaust pipe. Of course the tires are SAE-SI bastards, but that's a universal situation. Get a set of Metric wrenches and get over it. You'll never need the SAE wrenches again. (Unless you work on airplanes . . . a whole different can of worms there).

I would have liked to have had the option of heated leather seats in conjunction with the manual transmission, and I would have added dual zone climate control had it been available in '02. Higher quality OEM shocks would also be a resonable request and while I'm at it I'd have paid extra to have Michelins instead of Bridge-Firestone tires.

Otherwise, what a great truck, and the lack of problems has been a HUGE improvement over the Honda, which has been recalled 5 times, subject to warranty extensions covering 2 problem areas (EGR and automatic transaxle), as well as several actual problems requiring dealer visits. From the day it was new it has consumed coolant at the rate of a quart in 5,000 miles. It has 90,000 miles on it now and 11 attempts to determine the cause of the coolant consumption. (It passes pressure tests.) If I want any future attempts I have to pay for the diagnosis.
I've given up worrying about it and just bring it up to the mark routinely.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Colorado Kid said:
10) There's not an SAE fastener on any of these vehicles. The only things sized in SAE units are the wheels and possibly the exhaust pipe. Of course the tires are SAE-SI bastards, but that's a universal situation. Get a set of Metric wrenches and get over it. You'll never need the SAE wrenches again. (Unless you work on airplanes . . . a whole different can of worms there).

Or...you have Harleys(most of the fasteners are SAE) and/or older trucks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My mistake . . . I didn't realize Harley Davidson was still using SAE. I guess it makes sense in a "newstalgic" way.

I've broken my old cars and trucks habit, and never developed a motorcycle addiction.

An emergency washer replacement in the tub/shower combination yesterday morning reminded me that it is good to have SAE wrenches around the house as well! If I didn't have a 13/16ths I wasn't ever going to get that stem apart!

·
Registered
747 Posts
The battery posts and caliper mounting bolts are the only metric fasteners on my '01 Road King that come to mind right away. I know there are a few others, but I can't think of them right now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts