Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
changed fuel filter today, i filled it w/ fuel before i put it on but she started then died after a few seconds, then wouldnt start again after several tries. will try adding more fuel to filter in morning, anything else i should do??

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Prime the pump. If it has one like the 6.6L

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
There's two (possibly more than two) ways to go about this. There's the way the GM owner's manual tells you to do it, and there's the way I (and others)do it.

GM manuals will tell you to open the bleed valve and keep cranking, but that will take hours.

I will tell you to remove the air cleaner and unhook the return line on the front of the IP. Then hook up your air compressor to the return line. Open the bleed valve on top of the fuel filter. Hook up a lin on the outlet for the bleed valve and put a cup under it. Make sure the gas cap is on tight, and turn up the air. 5 (five) psi MAX. It doesn't take much, too much you could blow a hole in the fuel tank. After a little while you'll get fuel coming out of the bleed valve and running into the cup. At this point, shut off the bleed valve and unhook the air line. Let any remaining pressure bleed off out the return line, and hook everthing back up. From here on, it's all cranking. Shouldn't take too awful long.

I know it looks like a more difficult way of doing it, but it will save you hours of work, and possibly a starter and batteries.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is the return line to apply air the one that arcs towards you then T's just as it goes under the coolant lines?? and i would disconnect the end going into the IP correct? thanks for the help by the way

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Yep, that's the one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
all i do is pull the fuse for the pump and run a hot wire to it, making the pump run. i also take the return line off the pump to see when all air is out....starts every time!!!!

·
Eagle Eyes
1,342 Posts
Just keep cranking. she'll start eventually...:cool:

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
all i do is pull the fuse for the pump and run a hot wire to it, making the pump run.
If your truck is equipped with an electric pump, that will work. However, I will assume we are dealing with a stock 1986 model. These trucks weren't equipped with an electric pump. By the way, even if the truck is equipped with an electric pump, the air pressure method will still work.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I will tell you to remove the air cleaner and unhook the return line on the front of the IP. Then hook up your air compressor to the return line. Open the bleed valve on top of the fuel filter. Hook up a lin on the outlet for the bleed valve and put a cup under it. Make sure the gas cap is on tight, and turn up the air. 5 (five) psi MAX. It doesn't take much, too much you could blow a hole in the fuel tank. After a little while you'll get fuel coming out of the bleed valve and running into the cup. At this point, shut off the bleed valve and unhook the air line. Let any remaining pressure bleed off out the return line, and hook everthing back up. From here on, it's all cranking. quote]

So simple ,never think about that one ,so i add electic pump to solve my priming problemes.It coud be easy way to find fuel lines failiures also.

:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the tip, i got all the air out using High Sierra's method, except i had to use a bike pump, b/c i dont hav a compressor. it was running a little ruff but then the second time i started it was running great. thanks for the tip

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I fab'ed a fuel cap with a Schrader valve in it. Screw it on and add air! NAPA has the Schrader valve fitting with male 1/8" pipe, grind off the metal part of the fuel cap, drill out the check valve, thread the plastic, screw in the fitting. Not hard, but don't lose it. Once friends find out you have it, it's like the lawn mower. It gets "borrowed and not returned". I've had to make up three of them just to keep one handy.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
actually the shrader fit right over the 1/8 pipe and when i clamped it, the rubber expanded enough to make create a seal... but now that i think of it that schrader would work great w/ a compressor...

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Glad to hear you got it going. You really should get an air compressor, even a very small one. They really are the greatest invention since sliced bread. Sounds like you did good with the bicycle pump, though.

The modified fuel cap would make things really painless. I myself don't really mind unhooking the fuel line since I don't have to do it that often, but that is a good idea. I never thought of that one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts