Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there, that knows for sure what the new micron rating on the new fuel filter part # 9817645 (TB 1298B). I try to check most of the old post and no luck. I ask the parts manager yesterday when I had this new filter installed and he didn't know the micron rating.
Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mcmx2
The service manager didn't know to much about the filter. I also have a primary filter (RK-32313) which takes a Racor R60T which is 10 microns and if this secondary filter is rated at 10 and 2 microns, this will be good.

Thanks again

·
Registered
841 Posts
It has dual pleats, 10 and 2 micron I believe.
Where did you get this info? I have never heard this. I was told by Racor that the 2 layers were identical paper. I was also told that the micron rating for the new filter was the same as for the old filter. I can believe the first statement, but with 2 layers the rating should be higher.

I have seen the Racor filter inside and out. If you ask me it is garbage. My last filter was a dual pleat. I cut it open after 10k miles. I opened up both layers of paper. The first layer was definitely darker (I have a lift pump so I did not have the typical striping (dirty on bottom, white on top)). However, portions of the second layer were as black as the first layer, but only in certain areas. This tells me there are holes/weak spots/whatever where the dirty fuel is slipping past the first layer.

I don't remember the micron rating I was quoted by Racor, but if the numbers they quoted were true, we would need no secondary filtration. The fact of the matter is that these OE filters are not sufficient, especially for our super high pressure fuel delivery systems. I would replace the OE with a better filter if I could and STILL use the secondary filter. If GM stacked filters from day1 and put a lift pump BEFORE the filters as is logical, they would probably have saved themselves a LOT of injector headaches. But nobody wants to be told that their new $45,000 truck has 2 expensive fuel filters that must be changed regularly in order to protect the injectors. It is bad advertising. Especially for the NON-Do It Yourselfer who would be paying a mechanic big bucks to do it for them. SPICER

·
Registered
20 Posts
after replacing my injectors and hearing so much garbage about foctory filter i swithed to the fram part #PS9059A. i dont know what the micron ratings are but with the factory so bad ill give it a try.it cant be any worse.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
The Baldwin was to be 5 microns. Told by Baldwin dealer. DMAXALLITECH said it was more likely 7 or 8 microns.

What I have been told....

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
after replacing my injectors and hearing so much garbage about foctory filter i swithed to the fram part #PS9059A. i dont know what the micron ratings are but with the factory so bad ill give it a try.it cant be any worse.
Hate to tell you, madmike, but it aint and worse, and it aint any better! If it fits on the OEM filter head - no matter what it's painted or called on the box it is a Racor and an OEM. Racor is the only manufacturer of filters that fit the OEM head - no one else. You have to add a secondary filter to filter better.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
A couple of years ago on this site was a rather ingenious gent that built an adatpter that would fit on the OEM filter head so that a better filter could be screwed on instead of the OEM Racor p.o.s. If memory serves me, his adaptation was for a CAT or a Baldwin filter. About that same time many of us were installing secondary filters (either Baldwin, Racor, or CAT) post or pre OEM filters, pick yer poison. Kennedy and Nicktane and others have benefitted, as have those that installed these additional filters. Many of us bought the components and built our own bastardizations of these ideas. BUT, I still believe that IF the original idea of an adapter installed on the OEM head would have caught on, well we would all have one filter, and a much better filter, in the place of these RACOR filters. I know if I had the metal lathe and skills, I would have built one for myself.

Just my ramblings on our workaround for GM's failings.....

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just like Idle Chatter said, no matter who's name or what color the filter is, it is made by Racor. Racor has the patent on this design and they are the only one that makes a filter that will fit. A lot of filter companies buy them paint them and rebox.

:exactly:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Tp1298b

My question, what makes the filter unique? Is it the thread diameter or thread per inch, or diameter of the filter or the water seperator on the bottom? Que pasa?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Get a Nicktane Caterpillar pre-filter set up. The CAT filter is 2 microns and is gigantic compared to the factory filter.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
My question, what makes the filter unique? Is it the thread diameter or thread per inch, or diameter of the filter or the water seperator on the bottom? Que pasa?
It's the top threads and connection. Other fuel filters mount much like an oil filter - but there are several styles of heads and filters for them, too.

Mitchagain: The problem with an adaptor to the OEM head is limited space for the filter can above the valve cover. All of the secondary filters use a larger can to support the larger elements with larger surface area that can flow volume with finer filtration. If the adapter was such a great idea, they would have been mass-produced and sold and people would be using them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didnt know all the filters were made by racor only. i soon plan on installing a better system.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am not sure if it is unique, but Racor has a Patent on the filter. And I am not sure how the patent laws work, but I know the patent protects them so no company can copy it and make one themselves.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
We had a discussion at work about CAT filters and Baldwin. The filters are built to the companies specs. So if CAT wants a 5 micron filter, thats what they get. But Baldwin wants a 7 micron filter, thats what they get. Filters may look identicle on the outside, but are different on the inside.

For CAT extended warranties, it is madatory to put a CAT filter on. If no extended engine warranty is purchased, a Baldwin goes on.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Nicktane Caterpillar filter is the way to go Caterpillar filter are the best cut one apart and see what i mean

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know the old orginal OEM filter was tested extensively to discover the actual filtration was not sufficient to protect the engine from excessive particles 2 microns or larger. Has anyone done the same test on the new style filter to determine the actual efficiency at the different particles levels?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts