Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: I am new to your forum. Was introduced to this from another forum member. I have lots of questions about the Ford 6.0 L diesel. Have a 2003 6.0 and need input on what i should or should not do with it
I have not received anything from Ford in the form of a recall, just lots of questions about how satisfied i am with the damn thing. I have not returned their questioners yet.
So far though, so good. yet i keep hearing this thing about diesel fuel in the block from the injectors. To me this is a potential for trouble. everytime i change the oil, within 50 to 100 miles the oil is black as night, is this normal ? I have noticed some fluctuation in idle, but nothing serious. I am also concerned about the turbo charger. Are they all not so good for the 2003 year and what did they do to fix this problem if in fact it was a problem ? I bought the truck 2 or so months ago and i know it sat on the lot for 90 or so days. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it was built after March of '03 the above mentioned issues were resolved.

The idle issue you mentioned. When is it fluctuating? Is it while its running or do you mean one time you start it and it sounds this way and the next time you start it sounds that way? The reason I ask this is that temperature has a huge effect on the diesels and if its from a cold start then ya its probably going to "chug" a bit more and make some racket. My wife says it sounds like a true semi at this point, but its been below zero here a few nights and have yet to plug it in.

Just by guessing since Ford has not sent you any recalls the truck was built after March, but check manufacture date. Which transmission did you get with the truck? The turbocharger issue was one of the valves sticking on it and not repositioning correctly within an alotted amount of time. Again depending on the date of manufactoring this issue may have been resolved with your truck.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your new truck.

Todd

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello: Thanks for the reply. You are the first person who has told me that the issues had been addressed and after March, 2003 things were better at Ford. My truck was manufactured in June of 2003. I have yet to trace the serial numbers down for the engine, but i think i will be O.K. . The transmission is the 5 speed torqueshift. I am guessing there is another that Ford uses ? This one does not have on overdrive, just 5 forward speeds and a tow/haul botton that locks up the torque converter. This works in all 5 forward gears al the way down to 5 MPH. The idle thing is particular. when it is cold it will go through several "cycles" of higher and lower rpms. when you touch the brake pedal it goes to a low idle and when you let it sit for awhile, again it idles higher. When it is warned up completely it does fine. hope this answers your questions. you have helped out greatly. Thanks.
.....Edited by: rimshoes

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ford diesels have a Cold idle setting where the engine will raise the idle when the temp is below 40. Once the engine is at operating temp it will drop down to low idle. Touching the brake will also cancel the high idle. So, it is normal.......

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright then. I guess i will start sticking $100's into the truck. First thing is the exhaust. I always change the exhaust on all my vehicles, just an obsession i guess.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wouldn't worry about that tranny. It's been tested against the Allison and proven to be as good as if not better (depending on whom you talk too).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts