Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well got the new 4" exhaust on this weekend. pinnacleperformance. took about 5 hours. with the help of two perfectionest.:ro) dont like the way it goes under the cab. had a little clearance but not enough. when starting and passenger it rubs a little on bottom of cab. but not down the hi-way. sounds great, not too much difference in cab for noise. hear turbo again and little more performance. but will have to go back and modify where it goes under cab. I took pics and will get them on here as soon as I figure out how to do it.. I guess when you buy aftermarket, sometimes you have to modify....... off to work..

·
Registered
163 Posts
I installed thier exhaust for my Suburban yesterday. The fit is excellent! I want to go back under the car and take pics and look for clearance issues (I am unaware of any).

Pipnnacle seems like one of those real vendors. You might want to call them and let them know you've got issues. Maybe they can help.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I installed thier exhaust for my Suburban yesterday. The fit is excellent! I want to go back under the car and take pics and look for clearance issues (I am unaware of any).

Pipnnacle seems like one of those real vendors. You might want to call them and let them know you've got issues. Maybe they can help.
How's the sound? Does it drone in the cab during highway cruising?

I wouldn't mind upgrading my system, but I am concerned about noise as my sub is a family highway cruiser - its gotta be quiet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
More noise than stock. Some droning. I'll try to make a recording and post it....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok. WHAT IS DRONING? its not too loud at all in cab...

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
ok. WHAT IS DRONING? its not too loud at all in cab...
It's the noise that the exhaust system makes over and above the usual exhaust noise and is due to vehicle harmonics. Typically occurs at a certain vehicle speed. Sounds like an annoying hum or muted low frequency buzz and grates on the passengers. I think the technical types will tell you that drone occurs when certain vehicle frequencies match or just match the exhaust frequency (or exhaust system frequency). Something like that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
tracer, how old are your motor mounts? If they are original, I bet you'll gain a little clearance for your down pipe by replacing them. Use only gm replacement as they dampen vibration better than aftermarket.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they are original, but, I don't think that would work. it is right behind where the cat was under back end of cab. i just was under there and there is about 1\4 inch clearance between cab and pipe. new motor mounts would probally push it up to bottom of cab. or maybe it would hold it there better and not move as much.. how about cab mounts, could be squished a little, maybe new ones would lift cab up a little.. I'm making a insulation blanket to wrap around it for now. its good up to 1200 degrees. I think one of the welds on the down pipe is not right, if it was tilted down a little I think that would help. If I knew how to attach pics. I could show ya, but not sure how to do it...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just installed a 2 1/4 crossover 3" downpipe and the rest was a 4" with a round straight through muffler from Warpspeed Performance. It took me and one other person about 5 hours too. The downpipe fit real nice and the crossover is a 2 piece deal since you are required to use the original flanges to clamp to the exhaust manifold. The 4" pipe of the install needed a little playing with to fit. The hanger that goes infront of the muffler wouldn't fit at all. Seem to be fine without it though. I am sure glad I had an impact wrench to use. It made removing the crossover easy and tightening the clamps easy too. All in all I am happy with the system. I love the sound out of the tailpipe. I can here the turbo whistle and has a big block rumble.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You need to play with the Pinnacle downpipe and cat eliminator pipe to get the clearence perfect, i put a little pressure down, and some alignment, and there was ample clearence on my suburban, even with the hvac lines running under the cabin in that place where clearence is the issue. I too am very happy with pinnacle, best choice ever, although I would get a muffler next time :p or not... hehe.

·
Registered
438 Posts

I wouldn't mind upgrading my system, but I am concerned about noise as my sub is a family highway cruiser - its gotta be quiet.

We put a 4 inch exhaust on the SuperBurban almost 2 years ago, and I absolutely love it!! It gives it a deeper, throatier roar, but it's not obnoxiously loud. I drive it every day, and it's given it an awesome sound. I would highly recommend this upgrade.

Mrs. SuperBurban

1 - 12 of 12 Posts