Diesel Place banner

41 - 60 of 2066 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Updated and went straight to level 4. After some city traffic driving in T/H for relearn I found a straight stretch and nailed it and holy ****. The pedal response is instant. Lot's-o-smoke :) !There is so much more boost there is almost zero lag. My rear tires are crying. Can't seem to get traction through first and second gear. EGT hit 1320 for a sec or 2 but came back down quick. Found a few willing to play and nothing was even close. This thing takes off like a rocket. On the interstate at 70 mph just barely touch the pedal and it is gone. Hit 100 really quick. Can't wait to get to the track and see what the new tune does. I have no doubt high 13's if the tranny holds up. I will get a chance to test the mileage tune this weekend on a trip to houston and back. I normally average 16 MPG the way I drive so we will see. I can only hope that the other levels are as improved as the extreme. Can't wait to tow my 38' TT with the tow tune. Thanks Buck! For what I paid for the EVO upon release I got one heck of a deal on a great lil programmer and great customer support as promised. Just sold a unit this afternoon for you guys after a test ride for one of my friends. I will let you guys know what I find after this weekend. Gonna try level 3 in the morning and work my way down. Yea...I am bass ackwards like that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I finally got mine to do the download yesterday after I talked with John. Downloaded a lot info. I set mine on 3 and will try it today. I have had some unique problems with my PCM and the EVO and they have helped me to eliminate them(supposedly). I am still not satisfied yet, but after today I hope I will be.

Thanks John.

·
Registered
233 Posts
bbjones56;1884861; said:
As long as the guy programs his truck back to stock before you buy it, then there will be no problems.

thanks

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
cowdoc;1884510; said:
As luck would have it I am out of town when the new update comes out :cool: . Curiosity just might kill me before Friday when I get back home. I have a couple of questions for you lucky guys that have updated.
1. Can you recalibrate for tire size in the stock setting?
2. Is there a way to turn off the egr diagnostics?
3. Hasanyone driven it enough to know if the "economy" tune is netting better mpg?
I almost forgot. Can you go from one tune to the next without having to reprogram for tire size and speed limiter each time?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I spoke a lil soon last nite...on level 4 at startup this morning my truck had a idle that sounded like a big block gasser with a giant cam. Like it had a lope to it. Sounds like a train idling. Once it gets up to temps it goes away. on the hwy. if you let off and then give it a lil go pedal it clatters like a worn out 12 valve. Sounds like my 01 5.3 gasser when I ran low grade gas on the tuned pcm. Noticed my fuel gauge moving a lil faster than normal :) so I pulled over and went to level 1. Smooth as stock. Now I need to fill up this afternoon to start testing the MPG. Can't test the tow tune untill next weekend. I am going to try the performance 80 tune at lunch. I believe at 80 hp it should match the max for stock alli and allow it to all get to the ground and be fun to drive. Level 4 in traffic is just silly!
Buck, feel free to pm me for my contact info if you have any questions. I will gladly help as this is getting refined into a great packaged tuner.

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
I guess it is about time for me to invest in the Evo now. I have been sitting on the fence for a long time. My last two trucks had the Juice.

So I guess with in the next two months I will have to order one. I am sure the install will be no more difficult than the juice.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I found lvl 3 to be alot more sluggish in the low end compared to the old lvl 3. Less pedal response.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
becuase the old level 3 was 100hp and the new level 3 is around 60-80hp it just got moved down.
the tip end throttle is all stock but level 4 so yes untill you get into the pedal it will fell stock.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My EGTs are still quite high but I need to hook up the trailer and try level 2.

Why does the boost gauge not read any higher than stock on the evo? Is it because you are fooling a sensor and not changing the boost map?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Coghlin;1886426; said:

Why does the boost gauge not read any higher than stock on the evo? Is it because you are fooling a sensor and not changing the boost map?
When you state that EGTs are high, how high? 1300?
No, we aren't fooling a sensor. We are actually tuning boost maps. I'm not sure why you are not seeing higher boost readings. What altitude are you at?

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
I've read that some people aren't really seeing the increased boost. I DEF. am..I'm seeing 20+ (level 4) before I know it with light throttle.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Edge guys??? Can you help with my probe problem? I called tech support and was on hold forever with no answer. Did my cable go bad?

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
As much as I am loving the new tune, I may go back to the last one. My MPG has taken a SEVERE hit with this new tune. My driving style hasn't changed and I have gone from 20.4 down to 16.8 :(

I'll give it to the end of the week to see if I can pull some more MPG out of it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
blemoine02;1886379; said:
becuase the old level 3 was 100hp and the new level 3 is around 60-80hp it just got moved down.
the tip end throttle is all stock but level 4 so yes untill you get into the pedal it will fell stock.
Yeah I realize that but this lvl 3 is still considered a performance tune and more throttle response would make it perfect IMHO. :)

Coghlin;1886426; said:

I've seen around 26psi so far in lvl 4, and I was being nice on it then. Haven't tried a full blown WOT run yet, but boost is up for me.

Mad Maxx;1887283; said:
As much as I am loving the new tune, I may go back to the last one. My MPG has taken a SEVERE hit with this new tune. My driving style hasn't changed and I have gone from 20.4 down to 16.8 :(

I'll give it to the end of the week to see if I can pull some more MPG out of it.

How are you figuring MPG already? By DIC or hand calculated?
Don't rely on the DIC, always hand calculate for mpg.

So far mine doesn't seem to have changed much and I've been using lvl 4 and 3 for about a half tank and my miles are very close to where they normally are at the half way mark.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
As soon as I installed the new update and began to drive, without me resetting the DIC the MPG started going down.

I filled up today, drove for an hour straight, not shutting the truck off, on the road the whole time, and best I saw so far has been only 16.8.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Boost seems to be up at light throttle application. Max boost is still 22-23psi and spikes to 26psi at shifting. I can hit 1300* by the time I hit 65 mph on level 3 unloaded at 1000asl. I have not hooked up my analog boost gauge to verify the difference.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I think the new tunes are an improvement but I will have to hook up the trailer to get an accurate idea.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Mad Maxx;1887377; said:
As soon as I installed the new update and began to drive, without me resetting the DIC the MPG started going down.

I filled up today, drove for an hour straight, not shutting the truck off, on the road the whole time, and best I saw so far has been only 16.8.

As said before DO NOT BELIEVE YOUR DIC, as soon as you put a programmer on it is no longer accurate in anyway!!! You have to hand calculate your mileage to get an accurate figure. My truck said it was getting 25 mpg on level 3 of the previous programs but in reality is was getting 17 or a little better.

41 - 60 of 2066 Posts