Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any body seen the Duramax that are coming in now. They have external injectors. You don't have to take the valve covers off to replace them. Seen two of them yesterday.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
The new LLY. Do a search on LLY and you will see numerous discussions on them.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I was pokin around today and it seems like the injectors on my 04' LB7 can be taken out without removing the valve covers... correct me if I'm wrong.

Dan

·
Registered
196 Posts
Strait Diesel

That is exactly what I was going to say. I got mine in about 1.5 weeks ago, a 05/03 biuld date. I can see my injectors thru the valve covers, and the little self locking tab.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thanks 65Bowtie... I was thinking maybe I was just seeing things, hoping they could be taken out without removing the valve covers... my build date was 11/03 and so I have heard, the injectors CAN be taken out without removing the valve covers. I have exactly what you have... about an inch of the injector is sticking out of the valve cover with the self locking tab holding it in place.

Dan

·
Registered
233 Posts
StraitDiesel

My '04 LB7 (built 10/23/03) looks like it has the same injector configuration as my '03 did. Do you have a picture of one of your injectors?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Mike,

I'll try to get a picture as soon as I can, I'll be awfully busy this week though...

Dan

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
StraitDiesel said:
Thanks 65Bowtie... I was thinking maybe I was just seeing things, hoping they could be taken out without removing the valve covers... my build date was 11/03 and so I have heard, the injectors CAN be taken out without removing the valve covers. I have exactly what you have... about an inch of the injector is sticking out of the valve cover with the self locking tab holding it in place.

Dan

I don't think so, Dan. I think you are looking at the injection line connector (smooth cylinder protruding through the rubber grommet in the valve cover?) The injector body has the control wiring, hold down clamping arm AND the fuel return line banjo fittings that are deep inside the valve cover. If you can't see any of that, you can't remove an injector with the valve cover in place!

Here's your LB7 valve cover, what's inside and an injector:

Edited by: Idle_Chatter

·
Registered
926 Posts
Idle chatter,

Way to go!! Blow it for me! Thought I might be lucky! Just messin... thanks for the pics and clarification. I see your from Castalia, I'm from Huron, PM me.

Dan

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Well, they're really hoot's pictures and engine - but I don't think he'll mind my using them for "show and tell."

·
Registered
22 Posts
How do I know if I have the new LLY engine? I just got mine three weeks ago.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I guess I'll blame hoot for my misfortunes then! No, actually I am very satisfied with my Dmax and hope to get a lot of miles out of it.

Dan

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
loydt said:

Well the LB7 valve cover is in the previous picture. This one is an LLY "show" engine, but it's pretty obvious how different an LLY valve cover/head would look. Look closely and you'll see the exposed injectors, holdown clamps and the connectors that will have your injector control wiring attached in an installed engine.

·
Registered
570 Posts
loydt said:

If the eighth # of VIN is 1 = LB7 if 2 =LLY

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I want one of those chrome fuel filters.
For the price we pay for them from the stealer they should be chrome!

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Max Power said:
I want one of those chrome fuel filters.
For the price we pay for them from the stealer they should be chrome!

Chrome plated? At those Stealer prices the suckers should be GOLD plated - or maybe even solid Sterling Silver!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for the pictures... that engine looks nice, wish my could look like that... or maybe with chrome valve covers, chrome turbo, chrome pulleys... actually no, stainless steel would look really neat under the hood.

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts