Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my new GMC DuraMax cc/sb/4x4 LLY.

I have questions in regard to fuel filtration as this seems to be the biggest issue in my mind contirbuting to other problems. I believe I heard that in order to not void the warranty the filtration NEEDS to be pre OEM, is this correct?

What units have others installed on their vehicles, Do you feel the performance of the unit has been good or helpful? Any filters cut appart to visually see it's performance? How was the installation of the unit? Easy? Where did you install the unit?

I know this is a long post, but I want to protect the fuel system as soon as I get my new truck, and I look forward to the comments of the members of this forum to help me decide which unit to use.

I have been reading this forum heavily for the last few weeks and appreciate the wealth of information/ experiences shared and hopefully I can contribute to this forum in some way.

·
Registered
612 Posts
04wanabemax said:
I have questions in regard to fuel filtration as this seems to be the biggest issue in my mind contirbuting to other problems. I believe I heard that in order to not void the warranty the filtration NEEDS to be pre OEM, is this correct?

What units have others installed on their vehicles, Do you feel the performance of the unit has been good or helpful? Any filters cut appart to visually see it's performance? How was the installation of the unit? Easy? Where did you install the unit?

First, Congrautlations on your new ride and welcome to the forum ... you will find many good folks and a wealth of information here ..... Speaking from personal experience, the impact addition of any aftermarket equipment to a truck will have on your warranty will depend on the dealership. I have a post OEM Mega that has been OK'd by my dealership. Some dealerships are Ok with adding Juice, some aren't. So far as the addition of additional fuel filtration, my only regret it that I didn't do it sooner.

Jim

·
Registered
85 Posts
Welcome 04Wanabemax!

The installation of additional filtration w/regarding warranty is determined by the dealership. You should speak to the service manager and see where they stand. Some dealerships will only warrenty equip. they install. Be prepared to educate a bit, I had to.

From some of the posts here it seems that the dealerships tend to like the Pre OEM setups more. There is a TON of info. here regarding filtration both Pre and Post OEM set ups. Racor, Mega and Nicktane are three that people have installed and have shown good testing results and people are very happy with. There are others as well but those 3 come to mind.

This link shows a Nicktane cut open after 12,500mi. http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3383&PN=1

There are plenty of pictures of very ugly OEM filters! You are doing the right thing by looking into this early. Search on "filters", "filtration" etc., brew a pot of coffee and read on.
Another good idea is to run a good fuel additive. There is also a ton of info regarding additives. The combination of an additive and better filtration are probably the best insurance we have for our trucks IMHO. Plenty of people are willing to help so please post questions as they come up.

Mike

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
In my opinion if you go Pre-OEM you are better off.

The install is a little easier as there is more room under the truck and much easier serviceablility than under the battery tray.

The Pre-OEM installs seem to be immune from the air trapping/stalling that others see with some of the Brand/Post-OEM installs.

The fact that GM's filter assembly is the last thing the fuel sees should remove any liability argument that the filter is the cause.

I have the Pre-OEM Nicktane. It was easy to install, kit is top knotch and the price is close or less than other similiar kits.

I beleive that a 2 micron is going to catch most of the stuff and many say a good additive/emulsifier will keep the fuel system in top shape.

I went with the extra filtration to safe guard my fuel system/injectors........however as a realist I know that that still does not guarantee against a failure.

I have crossed my fingers on this one...

T
NY

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a new Silverado LS ext cab 2500HD 4x4 Duramax on order. What kind of delivery date did they give you for your new truck? I have a Keystone Challenger 29ft 5th wh ordered for delivery Feb 15 and hope truck is here then so we can head for Florida.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
04wanabemax said:
I just ordered my new GMC DuraMax cc/sb/4x4 LLY.

I know this is a long post, but I want to protect the fuel system as soon as I get my new truck, and I look forward to the comments of the members of this forum to help me decide which unit to use.

I have been reading this forum heavily for the last few weeks and appreciate the wealth of information/ experiences shared and hopefully I can contribute to this forum in some way.

Thanks for all the replies

This forum is great!! I will be purchasing the Nicktane / cat setup after reviewing the info and doing other research. I will be setting it up pre OEM as per dealer when the truck arrives.

P.S. Tony nice Truck! I can't wait to try some Mods, but it will have to wait until I can afford it.

Thanks again, Fran

1 - 6 of 6 Posts