Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...just found this site.I own a 99 2500 4x4 5 speed.I've got it "tweaked" a little
,396 r.w.h.p./886 ft.lbs.Still mild as I use it to haul trailers ect.up here in the mountains of western Md.I do a little drag racing and sled pulling also.88,000 pretty much trouble free miles so far,a couple of clutches for some reason
.Other than that real happy with the Cummins and the "wrapper"as some people call it.Capt.Mal don't let these Chevy boys get you down,you will enjoy the new Dodge and keep us posted on how she does since you will rack up a lot of miles quickly.I'm going to get a new one when I get my 99 paid off,more than likely be another Dodge/Cummins...Doug

·
Registered
365 Posts
DOUGF,

I was on the road and missed your post, sorry.

The 'Chevy boys' try to get me down and I'll just post from BIll, HD90RIDER. He's in a Texas motel right now waiting a new Duramax engine. Already spent over 10 grand fixing his motor (same problems as the one I had) and now he's looking at $12,000 or so MORE. We have been talking about this directly tonight and he's 'less than happy'.

Here's his words - feed this to the 'boys' ....

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey All, Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but I have been on the road. 1st, I do have an additional filter on the big tank, w/water separator, which I check often & I NEVER use cheap fuel. Always name brand "Flying J" If not available, I get the next name brand I can get to. However, as I sit here writing this post,I am in a motel in Tx. awaiting a new engine. At 282K it went to ****. Fuel in the oil again ( (4th time), & finally quit running. I expect problems at high mileages, but not a complete failure. All major problems I have had,have been "fuel related". Injectors, pump, return lines coming loose,cup seals leaking around the injectors. This is the worst it has ever dumped fuel in the oil. Drained the crankcase twice,(4 gallons of diluted oil each time & put in new oil,trying to get to help. Didnt make it!! Towed in,now here I sit,waiting to give GM another $12,000 approx. to get back to work. Without using all the power upgrades, I felt this engine should last longer, like the other brands. Yes they have problems,but they are still running at 400k to 700k. The engines were fixed. Since I passed 215k It has been downhill,with a garage call about every 2 months. Hopefully the LLY will fix these fuel related problems ( get that crap out of the valve covers). Oh well, vented now , Any one have $12k they dont need??
------------------------------------------------------------------

This kind of stuff is why I have a Cummins now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Poor guy is still waiting for another engine. With all the aftermarket and dedicated Cummins, shops I doubt this kind of mess would happen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea it's nice if you get in a pinch you can get parts and service at any Cummins dealer across the country.Cheaper too,I needed a crank sensor for my 99...Dodge=$66,Cummins=$33...Lift pump,Dodge$200+..Cummins,$99-120.After modding my truck I don't bother the dealer with the few small things I've had go wrong(and it's only been a few).Like the old saying goes"I am my own warranty station"
.How many miles CM???...Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts