Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the turbo on the new dmax's for 04 going to be like the ones on the ford?

I sure hope so.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Then you are in luck as I understand it is the same.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I read someplace the Ford was hydralically activated vs. electrically activated in the new Dmax (supposedly).

Bob

·
Registered
93 Posts
Will it work on 01-02 Dmax, and would we want to install it.

Cheers

Bear

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
The new one in the 6.0 PSD has a Garret VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo) and yes it is hydaulically controlled.

It has a noticably louder turbo whine. GM doesn't seem to like turbo whine. They modified the 2002 intake to help control it on our trucks so they may have a full intake muffler on the new engine. We shall see.

I don't believe it would be that easy to put one on the previous version. There's a lot more to it than the mechanical swap. Probably electrical components, computer, different sensor array (maybe).

With the heads changing (rumoured) who knows if the intake will be identical. I imagine it will but the redesign also addresses emissions so who knows. Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
434 Posts
I am 99.9% sure the 6.0 PSD VGT is electronically controlled, not hydraulic. And yeah, they whine. However ford is changing them from 7 vanes to 11 vanes in the updated 2004 engines to quiet them down.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The new turbo is a Garrett VGT, same type as Ford uses but not the same Turbo. They both use hydraulics along with electronics to control turbine speed. GM also has a turbine speed sensor that Ford doesnot. The turbo will not fit a 2001 motor but I donot know about 2002 or 2003 as I've not tried to fit it on them yet. The exhaust outlet is different between the old and new turbo and the compressor houseing hits the intake on the 2001 motor so it will take major rework to fit it.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Dieselman84 said:
I am 99.9% sure the 6.0 PSD VGT is electronically controlled, not hydraulic. And yeah, they whine. However ford is changing them from 7 vanes to 11 vanes in the updated 2004 engines to quiet them down.
The Ford is hydraulically controlled. The whistle is real loud.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Diesel Tech said:
The new turbo is a Garrett VGT, same type as Ford uses but not the same Turbo. They both use hydraulics along with electronics to control turbine speed. GM also has a turbine speed sensor that Ford doesnot. The turbo will not fit a 2001 motor but I donot know about 2002 or 2003 as I've not tried to fit it on them yet. The exhaust outlet is different between the old and new turbo and the compressor houseing hits the intake on the 2001 motor so it will take major rework to fit it.
Is the new turbo water cooled like the old IHI unit?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Whistle while work. Whistle while you work.

The way I see it is as follows. The LBY is the ultimate hotrod motor. Very little electronics,dohickys and emmision control devices. The power potential has not even been tapped yet. Everything else is becoming a little more restricvtive. More gadgets more emmisions. Just my .02 cents. Hopefully not to far off topic?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Diesel Tech said:

Isn't there something about how or where Ford has mounted the electronics for the turbo control that is contributing to the problem due to heat exposure?

Also, don't the LB7's have a waste gate and the LLY's don't?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts