Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new diesel truck 1993 3500, butit comes with a problem. The guy I brought it from put on a IP and injector he told me that he was not very savvy with diesel now problem is that it will idle great but when you put it in gear and starts to miss with black smoke and will not hardly move. The truck has 180000 miles and I don't anything else about it wether it has a new timing chain on it or not. Any suggestion

Rick

·
Registered
166 Posts
When the IP pump is put in it needs to be set for fuel retardation is the term I think. I think the tool for it is a tech 2. Need to have a shop recalibrate it. This might be the problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diesel Grinch

I thought that was only with the DB 4 IP not with a non computerized IP. This a new pump so how would you check to see if fuel retardation is the problem?

Rick

·
Registered
166 Posts
I cann't answer that. As I'm just repeating the little bits I've been learning. Sorry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds more like there's a problem with the transmission or drivetrain than with the engine. Black smoke is usually overfueling, 'relative to what the engine can burn effectively' -- seems rare that you'd idle 'great' and then immediately have trouble in gear.

What's the transmission in this truck? If it's an automatic, check for fluid level, condition of torque converter, etc. If there's something binding or stuck in the tranny, it can immediately produce weird loads.

In what shape is the driveline, including universal joints, wheel joints, and brakes (e.g., are either the service brakes or emergency brake jammed on or sticking)?

There is another ominous cause of this kind of smoke: problems with massive friction inside the engine. Bad main bearings, poor or no effective oil, or (worst of all) a broken crankshaft. (There was a report on this list many years ago of someone who actually drove a truck with a broken-crank 6.5 into the shop; there was just enough 'slop' between the broken halves to throw off the timing of the part of the engine that wasn't geared to the injection pump...

Here's a question: What happens when, with the engine idling, you first slowly, then quickly, push the accelerator down? If an automatic, is the situation different in Park than in Neutral? Logically, spinning the engine up ought to revealsome of these problems, and if the engine turns just fine at 3500rpm or so, start looking back along the drivetrain...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts