Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this site as well as to a diesel motor. I just bought a 2004 crew cab duramx diesel/Allison LB7with 38K miles.
I have read through the million post on here to get some info and its all very imformative.
To make it easier on me and to get it under this post I want to ask the following question.

This motor is bone stock. Not being able to dump 3K right away into aftermarket what is your opinion as far as upgrades and the order I should do them?
Exhause first, then intake, prorammer etc. or what order would you recomend?

As an FYI I live in Texas where its pretty warm most of the time and only pull a small 5x14 trailer with three 4-wheelers and gear (maybe be 3K loaded) so nothing to heavy.
Where do I go from here?
Thanks a ton
Danny

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
When you get around to it, fill in your signature so that in the future we will know what you have.

I would do an exhaust first, the stock air filter does a much better job of filtering than any aftermarket so I would just leave it stock. If you are planning on putting a large programmer on it I would do the tranny next, Suncoast III or equivelent and then the programmer. If you do not plan on adding any more than about 90hp your stock tranny will do fine so long as you don't beat on it.

Welcome to the Diesel Place!

Bentley

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Exhaust, gauges then a tuner. I wouldn't waste your money on an intake, the stock airbox flows plenty of air for the engine. Do some research on tuners, pick one that you want. I have the edge juice with attitude, I like it alot, it has built in gauges so you do not have to buy gauges seperatly. If you keep it under 90 horses you should be safe with your stock transmission.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thanks guys.
It appears the exhuast is the thing to do first. If I do one of the 4" brands is it possible to do myself or will I need a muffler shop to do it for me. I see there are exhaust from 800.00 down to 400.00 or so. Is there any to stay away from? Is the Magna flow good?
Also I have heard of people doing a Bank Big Head waste gate for cheap, is this a good upgrade or does it if down falls?
If I get the Edge Juice with Attitude, can adjust the level so I can stay below 90HP as your recommended so I dont fry my tranny? Is it something I can install or do I need to find a shop?
Sorry for the questions that I'm sure are answered somewhere on this site, just trying to find the does and don'ts before I buy and exhaust or edge programmer to find out the exhaust is no good and the programmer is an old version and doesnt work well etc...

Hey guys, I'm new to this site as well as to a diesel motor. I just bought a 2004 crew cab duramx diesel/Allison LB7with 38K miles.
I have read through the million post on here to get some info and its all very imformative.
To make it easier on me and to get it under this post I want to ask the following question.

This motor is bone stock. Not being able to dump 3K right away into aftermarket what is your opinion as far as upgrades and the order I should do them?
Exhause first, then intake, prorammer etc. or what order would you recomend?

As an FYI I live in Texas where its pretty warm most of the time and only pull a small 5x14 trailer with three 4-wheelers and gear (maybe be 3K loaded) so nothing to heavy.
Where do I go from here?
Thanks a ton
Danny

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I have the Magnaflow 4" on my truck and I really like it, the other popular one is MBRP. You can do it yourself, the biggest problem is taking the stock one off. You just bolt on the new one.

Yes you can adjust the Juice w/ Attitude to less than 90hp, that would be level 3.

You will need to add more than the attitude if you want to do a Banks Big head because the Attitude will not display boost PSI higher than 26psi. I will let someone else chime in for this one as I do not know much about it.

Bentley

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Your stock turbo is good for around 30 psi, more than that and you will break something. The banks big head is an adjustable wastegate, so you will need a 0-40 or 60 psi boost gauge to tell for sure how much you are boosting to make sure you are not over 30psi.
The magnaflow exhaust is good, the most important thing is that it is stainless steel. They are very easy to install even if you are one big mechanically inclined. As stated before the hardest part is removing the old one.
The edge juice and attitude is nice because it has gauges built into it (egt, boost trans slip) and many other things. For an intro tuner it is great. It is very easy to install, just plug it in, the only hard part is drilling and tapping the hole in the exhaust manifold for the egt probe. Although that is fairly easy as well. Check out some of the vendors on this site, they may not have the absolute best price on the stuff, but when it comes to customer support they cannot be beat,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts