Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a 2500HD 4WD w/Allison next weekend. This will be my first diesel. I am looking for advice on things I need to do to the truck since I am moving to Alaska, Elmendorf AFB. I am confused with all the talk about the fuel filters and different types of heating. I know a little about the engine block heater and nothing about oil pan heaters or fuel heaters. Can someone please help, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Here comes confusion!

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
There are alot of different things you could do. I know for sure that you should replace the front differential fluid with a synthetic. This info. is in a GM Technical Service Bulliten. It pertains to operating the 4 wheel drive in cold cliamates. I also know you are going to need to use a blended fuel. I am sure all of the pumps in Alaska offer this. Other than that the rest are just choices.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Also do a search using 'new diesel' in the title and see what comes up. I know there have been alot posts that talk about what to do with the new metal.

Your engine needs air, fuel, and compression. Fuel and Air fitlers are a must change even if you stay with stock! Compaired to gas engines it is 4x more freq. I change mine every 10,000miles. Your air filter traps alot with the compressor always pulling...it is like a vacuum. The fuel fitler/water separator is always working with the DIRTY Diesel fuel.

Watch out for your fuel gelling up when you get to AK. I had mine gel up in MO. Find out what the diesels are running(additives) with. (Never us additives that have alcohol)

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you do a search for any questions that you have on this board you will find all the answers that you have plus many, many more. I am stationed at Elmendorf now and in about a month hopefully my GMC Duramax/ZF6 will get here. Let me know if there is any kind of info you need from up here. Fuel Gelling when it is -25 no way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts