Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a CEL appear last weekend while on a camping trip, got home and scanned and it was a P21DD. Dropped my pickup off at the dealership last night and they had it completed and ready for me this afternoon. DEF tank heater....which is integral to the DEF tank. They had all the parts in stock, full warranty at 33,000 miles and 42 months old. I was not expecting this to be and quick and smooth of a situation as it turned out to be.....

·
Premium Member
17,839 Posts

The heater is not integral to the tank. It's in a module, akin to a fuel tank module assembly. They should've just changed the module.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what they did.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,839 Posts
Yup. Didn't change the tank, just the reservoir (module).
And retail on the part, 23379348 is $275, with wholesale under $200.
It's awesome that your dealer experience was quite nice, and I didn't post up to take away from that.
I posted because many people think: A) the whole tank must be replaced for any failure, and 2) that the parts pricing is outrageously expensive, and c) it's complicated.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
And followed up with a "World Class Inspection"!

·
Premium Member
17,839 Posts
Oh, and that failure on 2011&2012 trucks is also covered under a special policy for 10 years/ 120,000 miles.
Condition

On some 2010-2012 model year Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vehicles and 2011-2012 model year Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD vehicles that are equipped with a 6.6L diesel engine (LML/LGH), a malfunction-indicator light (MIL) may illuminate due to an offset in the temperature sensor in the diesel-emission-reduction fluid (DEF) tank reservoir, increased tank-heater resistance, or reductant-system performance.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the DEF tank reservoir and/or supply module pump. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
From here DEF tank heater - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

·
Registered
211 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts