Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topic pretty much says it all. Just put in a new CP3 cause truck died and wouldn't start. Went pretty smooth primed it up and fired rift up. Ran strong but wanted to stop and peak under hood before I got on the highway for the first time. That's when I noticed I was still able to pump the hand primer. Shouldn't that be hard? You think I should recheck the o-rings? Think I have a hairline fracture or think I have an
Injector going? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody?

·
Registered
16 dually
1,514 Posts
did u check the o rings?

·
Registered
13 Posts
check the fuel line connections... your suckin air in ... loosing prime

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, cool vid, getting the kit and bleeder!!! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
370 Posts
My truck runs perfectly and always fires right up and at any time i can pop the hood and the primer button is soft, even with the engine running.

·
Registered
16 dually
1,514 Posts
Like stated above, I'd be looking at the hoses leading to the cp3, or the fuel filter head it's self. It's pretty common to see the O-rings in the fuel filter head fail over time, and basically it needs a rebuild at that point.
Here's a few links that may be helpful:
This page has the hoses that go to the CP3

Filter Head Rebuild Kit

How to Video for the Filter Head Rebuild
Do they make a stock filter head delete? If you have a lift pump with filters the stock head basically becomes a weak point in the system where air can be introduced...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
The hand pump is supposed be soft when the engine is running. Cp3 is the fuel pump and since there is not a in take or online pump, the primer will be soft. The primer should be soft after you shut off the truck also, but should only take a few pumps to become hard again.

Sent from my iPhone.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The hand pump is supposed be soft when the engine is running. Cp3 is the fuel pump and since there is not a in take or online pump, the primer will be soft. The primer should be soft after you shut off the truck also, but should only take a few pumps to become hard again.

Sent from my iPhone.
Mine doesn't even do that. You can pump it all day long with the engine off and it stays the same. I change my filter and and pump it about 20 times and it never becomes firm, but the truck starts right up and runs great. Weird?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Do they make a stock filter head delete? If you have a lift pump with filters the stock head basically becomes a weak point in the system where air can be introduced...

Thanks
So the fuel heater in the filter head isn't needed either??

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
Mine doesn't even do that. You can pump it all day long with the engine off and it stays the same. I change my filter and and pump it about 20 times and it never becomes firm, but the truck starts right up and runs great. Weird?
Mine was that way also, put an AirDog on it and haven't looked back.

Sent from my iPhone.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I swear mine used to stay hard with engine running. But it does seem logical for it to be soft. With engine off I can get it firm but if I wait a couple seconds it's soft again. After doing the cp3 I could still have air in the system I guess but 3 times now after running it, parking, shutting it off and then trying to start it again it has died. All I have had to do is pump it, and viola it fires but you can hear its almost over fueled and high revs for a second. If I don't have to prime it it kinda sounds deprived of fuel or like its sucking in air. I ordered the deluxe re-build kit from Merchant with the WIF and Bleeder screw made of aluminum!! Pretty excited to eliminate that plastic bs!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Maybe I'll look into AirDog

1 - 15 of 15 Posts