Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my bigger tanks installed. Each of them are 18 gallon equivalent, for a total of 54 gal. I should be able to do around 1100 miles on a fillup, while getting 50 mpg on diesel. I am getting a diamond plate enclosure made that will have a swing up back cover to access the fill valve and tank valves.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, they are used. They expire in 2018. I have a few of them, wish I could get some more. They are too long to go in a shortbed, they are 82" long.

·
Registered
719 Posts
That mileage would be nice.:D Hope you use your truck for towing things as the box is no longer useful.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be able to put things on top of the tanks when I get the enclosure installed. We have a gas well and a compressor, so running on free gas helps offset the loss of space.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nice

Looks good Marc. I need to come up and look at it sometime and take you a ride in mine now. Jeff

·
Registered
714 Posts
Please be nice to your local fire department and put USDOT stickers on those tanks. One of these on each tank with "1971" in the blank space would suffice. Any sign shop would be able to make some up for you.

On Edit: Just put one on the diamond-plate enclosure when you get that done.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Given the last post...are they any kind of local safety requirements for putting a CNG or propane tank in the bed of your truck?

·
Registered
714 Posts
You'd have to call your local fire department to get the local restrictions. USDOT 49CFR regulates the commercial transport of hazardous materials. State (and sometimes local) fire codes regulate the storage of hazardous materials. Codes categorize CNG as a flammable type of compressed gas, which is a hazardous material.

Technically, since the tanks are in use while the truck is in motion, most of the storage regulations don't apply. Since the capacity is less than 1,001 pounds, 49CFR does not apply either. The biggest things to be concerned about are that the tanks are properly secured, or nested if upright, with three points of contact. Graded bolts and hardware should be used to secure the tanks to the vehicle, and a substantial cover should be used to separate the tanks from the elements if the valves are going to be constantly exposed. Unless those tanks are classified as "horizontal" tanks, they should not be used at an angle of less than 45 degrees to the ground. "Upright" tanks can create a problem when used in the horizontal position. The other big thing is to make sure that they're properly labeled - especially with that large of quantity. This link will show you what can happen with an 8 pound tank - imagine what 3x 18lb tanks will do.

I urge anybody who has done this, or is considering this mod to contact their local fire department and have them tell you what is locally allowed. If that setup were to catch fire and hurt (or kill) somebody, prosecutors will find something to nail you on.

ON EDIT: This is actually way more of a problem than I thought it was at first. Need to break out the code book on this one next time I'm at work. Wishing I hadn't seen this thread :rolleyes:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Check this out...

4 CNG tanks in a 5' 6" bed
50 GGE total (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent)
They are brand new tanks (Type 3)
They cost me about $2,400. each Including brackets, Valves & the PRD.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Guess you don't use the bed much..

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kind of cng kit are you using?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Can the propane kits, with suitable adjustments, be used for cng?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yep, I'd much rather have the 970 mile range burning nothing but CNG.
If I need to haul something I'll put it on a trailer, or drive the D Max.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
that is crazy looking wish i had the money to change over to CNG where I live the oil supply has gone scars and the rendering company's are putting more pressure on the restaurants to use them tell them all kinds of lies

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I finally got the enclosure from the fabricator today.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts