Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of trading for a new 1 ton dually truck. I pull a 12,000lb fiver. I have the Ford psd now, really like the Dodge cummins, but thought it only fair to test the waters with a chevy D/A combo. You chevy owners give me your honest opinion. How do you think the chevy will hold out under towing conditiond for 100000 miles. I appreciate you help.

Cary

c

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cary,

Not speaking from personal experience but, my father is the service manager for a Chevy dealer in N Cal and he has several large fleet accounts. The biggest is a larger mechanical contractor that works on refinery pipelines. They have several 01/02's that have well over 100k on the clock; theses are all 1tons with utility bodies that pull an additional 7k to 10k on the tongue. They are all running strong with no issues. As a side note I have a good friend that is on his second PSD in 8 moths, the first was bought back for break pull. His current one is now doing the same thing and it only has 3500 miles on it. As for the dodge, another buddy drove all the way to FL to get the H.O. and the rear main started to leak after only 450 miles...... Now at 8500 and it's still leaking after 4 trips to the dealer......... Just my 02

AT

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't have any first hand experience at driving DMax's for long periods, but I'm on my 3rd one. I trade annually. So far, never a trip back to the dealer for anything. Use as my everday driver and to pull a 12,000 lb. RV.

I run a GM Factory Sale that auctions factory buy-backs for a several state area. I can only recall one DMax in recent months. Ford is having their problems with the 03 and 04 6.0's- might be a good time to get a DMax or a Cummins until they get the bugs worked out of their 6.0.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If you want quiet and comfort, GM is the way to go. If you don't mind road noise and the sound of a cummins, then I would recommend Dodge.

I too was looking for a TV for my trailer in August of last year. I loved the cummins but I can not stand the road noise that Chrysler vehicles have, (I've had 4 and my current Jeep is the most quiet). That reduced the selection to Ford or Chevy. I choose the Chevy due to it's quieter diesel and overall quiet ride. The Ford's were still running on an older platform for the F250 SD. I reduced the selection to the GM due to the Duramax performance and the Allison Transmission. The tranny is what finally sealed the deal, so to speak.

Believe it or not I have never owned a Ford and my Dad has had 6 of them...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts