·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched out my Racor frame mounted filter..... and installed the
CAT assembly. I now have the same set up as Maverick had done:
http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL227/437876/777914/31865951.jpg

In the past, I had primed my pre-OEM Racor by putting air in the
fuel tank which pushed the fuel into the frame mounted canister.
The air exited first until the fuel filled the filter and then diesel
spewed out the Racor filter head bleeder. Doing it this way, I did
not have to monkey with the OEM primer pump.

With the CAT frame mounted filter assembly installed , I opened
up the bleeder screw and tried pressurizing the fuel tank to prime the
CAT filter. It didn't work ????? I couldn't prime it ????

So then I started the engine and let it fill the CAT filter with fuel until
the engine stalled. Then I removed the air from the OEM filter with the
OEM primer. Lots of diesel foam exited the OEM bleeder until I got
clear diesel fuel. So far......... the truck runs!

You guys who have installed the CAT on the frame...... how are you
priming it when you change filters??

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
140 Posts
filling the new filter before installing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
fill up the new filter

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ditto... I fill up the new filter before installing it.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yep, fill the CAT filter and prime via the OEM pump.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
as they said, fill the filter and start the truck. if you get the head close enough to the top of the tank when you remove the old filter it won't drip but a couple drops.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my initial install. The filter was dry and after the truck stalled lots'O'foam. Ended up going to the car wash to get all the fuel off the engine. I've got ball valves in and out. It's finally going to be above freezing this weekend. First time in a month. I'll be filling the filter like everyone else.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Pumping the primer is pretty easy, just takes a couple minutes. That's the way I plan to do it when I have to change the first time, which will be about a year at the snail's pace we are putting miles on the truck!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just changed mine with nearly a full tank over the week end. Jack up rear end removed bleeder on CAT head and in just a minute or so filter full and fuel running out into oil drain pan.. Replace bleeder and good to go.7300 mi on cat 750 and did not seem to be overly dirty.

aztjc

Tucson

·
Registered
266 Posts
srode said:
Pumping the primer is pretty easy, just takes a couple minutes. That's the way I plan to do it when I have to change the first time, which will be about a year at the snail's pace we are putting miles on the truck!

That figures that someone in "management" would do it the hard way. Do you want me to write you a CBA on how to fill the filter before you screw it on?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
DMAXMO said:
srode said:

That figures that someone in "management" would do it the hard way. Do you want me to write you a CBA on how to fill the filter before you screw it on?

Now Now, don't get too rough on us managment types or I will have to rat you out to the lady of your house!

·
Registered
266 Posts
srode said:
DMAXMO said:
srode said:

Now Now, don't get too rough on us managment types or I will have to rat you out to the lady of your house!

Management instructions for installing filter:

1) Have 1 manager hold the filter in place.

2) Get as many managers as it takes to screw the truck on to the filter.

3) Do not over tighten.

·
Registered
490 Posts
When I first installed mine, I hooked an electric fuel pump up and sucked the fuel through the Cat filter. Truck started right up and didn't skip a beat. Going on 7200 miles now with no problems.

·
Registered
138 Posts
No no Dmaxmo that's not the way management does it today.

1. Form a PRT (Product Realization Team) comprised of one person that's ever changed a filter in his/her life and the rest folks that wouldn't recognize a filter of any fashion.

2. Perform a Value Stream Analysis of whether or not adding this extra filter adds "Value".

3. Perform a Job Hazard Assessment and write a safety plan on what to do if you even spill one drop of this dastardly liguid.

4. Write a 20 page procedure and get sign off from Safety, HR, BioEnvironmental, and Medical. Ooops and Engineering.

5. Write a training manual for replacing the filter. Set up a class to train "Filter Replacers".

6. After all this, when the procedure/process fails, form a "Black Belt" Six Sigma team to correct the problems.

ONLY 230 DAYS TO RETIREMENT!!!! GOD I'M SICK OF THIS SH!-

·
Registered
266 Posts
gwmayes said:
No no Dmaxmo that's not the way management does it today.

1. Form a PRT (Product Realization Team) comprised of one person that's ever changed a filter in his/her life and the rest folks that wouldn't recognize a filter of any fashion.

2. Perform a Value Stream Analysis of whether or not adding this extra filter adds "Value".

3. Perform a Job Hazard Assessment and write a safety plan on what to do if you even spill one drop of this dastardly liguid.

4. Write a 20 page procedure and get sign off from Safety, HR, BioEnvironmental, and Medical. Ooops and Engineering.

5. Write a training manual for replacing the filter. Set up a class to train "Filter Replacers".

6. After all this, when the procedure/process fails, form a "Black Belt" Six Sigma team to correct the problems.

ONLY 230 DAYS TO RETIREMENT!!!! GOD I'M SICK OF THIS SH!-

GWMAYES,

If I didn't know better I'd swear you worked for my company!
Guess big companies are all pretty much alike these days....motivated by one thing and one thing only, GREED! It is all about stock price and managing the risks associated with maintaining it. Employees are a necessary evil.

The ultimate corporate structure= 1 CEO and 100,000 machines working for him/her.

Darrell

1 - 17 of 17 Posts