Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.. I am a new owner of a '08 C4500 GMC Topkick Monroe Conversion Duramax 2wd. I bought the truck in June of this year. It has some of the following options/stats.. 22k miles, triple air ride, engine brake, Cinch leather interior, DVD/MTX audio/theater system, power sunroof, billet grills, exc..

Im new to the Duramax diesels but not to turbo charged applications. I have been building and racing 1986-87 Intercooled Buick Grand Nationals/Turbo T's for almost 20 years.(Thus the TopkickGN screen name..lol:D)

I have done several appearance mods to my truck including full LED lighting, Hella driving lights flush mounted in bumper, upgraded headlights, Beaman Composites front air dam. I am now looking to get into the performance mods of the truck.

I use this truck to primarily haul my 36ft. ATC Aluminum gooseneck race trailer but sometimes it will be a cruiser. I took it for the first time a couple weeks ago on a thousand mile round trip to the track and the truck was absolutly awesome! I had a '99 Chevy crew cab Choo Choo Customs dually 4x4 before this truck with the 454. It was getting like 8 mpg pulling the trailer. Im not sure what the 4500 was getting other than I know it did MUCH better than my old truck and was twice as fun to drive.

Ive read alot on this forum already and seen where alot of guys seem to like the PPE programmer on stage 2. My truck being an '08 has the DPF and Im not sure if this will work for my application. Id also like a display type programmer if theres one out there that performs well and will work with the DPF. Id like the truck to be alot stronger and get better fuel mileage but not to the point of tearing up the trans. Im not worried about voiding the warranty.. so exhaust mods I will do if need be.

I know the trucks factory intake system is a quality set up for the most part. I looked into getting a drop in K&N filter but nothing they make will drop in a factory air box. K&N will custom make a flter based off the factory paper air filter if you send it in to have it done. Just not sure if that is even recommended by you guys.

I enclosed a pict of the truck to show and give you and idea of what Im working with. I look forward to your opinions/ideas of the route I should go with the truck.

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
1,965 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Great looking truck. I would first put some time in the truck before any performance mods. You may find that it won't be needed. As for the K&N, don't do it. They pass slot of dirt with the air. The stock filters and system are the best for the Duramax in my opinion. I think you will find that many here feel the same way. Anyway welcome and enjoy a great truck.
Max

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
The dpf is what is killing your mpg . Plus the rpm's your turning at cruise .

A small tune and removing the dpf then add the 6th gear conversion .

The trans will live a long life on a small tow tune .

Beautiful truck ..... :thumb:
Wouldn't a 2008 have 6 spds? What the 6 spds need is a way to lock out just 6th gear when conditions will not allow that high of a gear. Maybe the tap shift of a 2500.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Sharp looking truck, welcome to MD forum and the ways of the Duramax. Once you go diesel you never go back. You will find the pulling power is much better, smoother and always ready (after a little tune it will rock).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dpf is what is killing your mpg . Plus the rpm's your turning at cruise .

A small tune and removing the dpf then add the 6th gear conversion .

The trans will live a long life on a small tow tune .

Beautiful truck ..... :thumb:
First off thanks for the welcome to the board and all the kind comments on my truck guys!

My truck does have the 6th gear trans.

What all is needed to be done when removing the DPF? Do I need a programmer that will delete the codes after it is removed?

Is the truck going to need exhaust mods on just a stronger tune up?

·
Registered
624 Posts
:welcome2: Nice truck! I like the LED sidelights especially...

I like my PPE tune but I don't have to deal with the DPF. I'm assuming you're running on original shocks and those should be changed now...The factory shocks really suck!

Again congrats and welcome!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:welcome2: Nice truck! I like the LED sidelights especially...

I like my PPE tune but I don't have to deal with the DPF. I'm assuming you're running on original shocks and those should be changed now...The factory shocks really suck!

Again congrats and welcome!!

Thanks Wingnusa! Heres a few better picts of the lighting after I was done with that part of it.

I know the DPF will be harder for me to work around in getting my truck where Id like it performance wise. Yes the shocks are stock and I want to upgrade them. The ride is a bit rougher than id like unloaded. Do any of the shocks available for our trucks besides Shockers really improve the ride that much over the stockers?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Welcome!!! Great looking truck and as you prob already know by now, stops at refueling and stores will take longer with the attention and questions asked by curious people.:D
I have PPE stage 2 set and LOVE it!!! Dont have DPF so cant help you with that. As far as shocks I installed Koni FSDs on the front and it made a noticable improvement.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thanks Wingnusa! Heres a few better picts of the lighting after I was done with that part of it.

I know the DPF will be harder for me to work around in getting my truck where Id like it performance wise. Yes the shocks are stock and I want to upgrade them. The ride is a bit rougher than id like unloaded. Do any of the shocks available for our trucks besides Shockers really improve the ride that much over the stockers?
I like my Bilsteins but from what I've heard they may not be making them for the Kodiaks anymore.

Where did you get the LED's on the front fender?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Where did you get the LED's on the front fender?
Thats what caught my eyes in the first picture.
I got mine off EBAY. While I like them. All chrome looks a lot better. Mine are full square.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats what caught my eyes in the first picture.
I got mine off
EBAY. While I like them. All chrome looks a lot better. Mine are full square.

Guys I got these from a heavy truck sales and service place an hour from where I live. I told the saleman what I was looking for and he brought these out. I was real happy with the looks of them! He told me they were special ordered for a guy who never picked them up.. they werent just off the shelf items that they normally carried.

They have 39 LED lights in them total counting the 3 on the side. Theres similiar ones on ebay now but none have the shield over the top like these do. If I can get back over there in the near future I will find out any info I can on these.

Heres a closer up pict..

Attachments

·
Glamis Kodiak
7,491 Posts
Guys I got these from a heavy truck sales and service place an hour from where I live. I told the saleman what I was looking for and he brought these out. I was real happy with the looks of them! He told me they were special ordered for a guy who never picked them up.. they werent just off the shelf items that they normally carried.

They have 39 LED lights in them total counting the 3 on the side. Theres similiar ones on ebay now but none have the shield over the top like these do. If I can get back over there in the near future I will find out any info I can on these.

Heres a closer up pict..
Damn I love those lights . Would love to get some .

·
Registered
624 Posts

Heres a closer up pict..
Tell them we might be able to get a group order together if the price is right...

·
Registered
1,965 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just an FYI any Kenworth fender blinker will fit the Kodiak 2 bolt pattern and their is a ton of styles. You do need to cut the plug of your old light and splice.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 40 Posts